RP Recovery - TENS EMS stimulation of Pelvic Floor Muscles

Archives1

Staff member
Does anyone have any experience of using any of the TENS devices for strengthening and toning pelvic floor muscles. These devices use electrical muscle stimulation by sending signals to your muscles to make them contract.

Anyone heard and used of a company called Urospot that offers a machine treatment that does Kegels?

This is on their website!!!!!
It is a medical chair that uses high intensity electromagnetic energy to restore the fitness of your pelvic floor and the coordination between your brain, bladder and pelvic floor muscles.
The energy from the chair stimulates your pelvic floor muscles in a way that is equivalent stimulus to doing 11,000 kegels in 28 minutes.

This sounds similar to Emsella chair. I did ask my urologist about it , he basically said it is not a proven treatment and claims of being helpful are questionable. I also asked my physio therapist about it and she was not impressed with that chair treatment. Unproven and not tested by any reputable body in the field, she said. Simply speaking buyer beware.

It says equivalent to doing that many kegels…. Not the same as real metros…..I wonder what it really does.

I have post prostatectomy incontinence, still substantial after 7 months.
I am 73. I tried Kegel exercises first by myself and then with a physical therapist specialized in pelvic floor. My recovery has been minimum.
Today I completed the 4 session of The Emsella Chair. It is out of pocket expense and it's expensive. They claim to make the pelvic floor muscles stronger by delivering electromagnetic impulses right on the perineum which is the area between the anus and the scrotum for men and vagina for women. I think I have seen some improvement, because the amount of leakage that I have is less, measure by the number of diapers that I have to use during the day. However I also been trying to drink less during the day and I also do the kegel exercises on top of all that.
Since most likely I will have to have radiotherapy, and that kills the continence, I decided to give it a try to everything that I can, because the better you start the less bad it gets. At the same time I do have a TENS EMS machine which I use it on the posterior Tibilais nerve by my right ankle. I just started so I don't know how much it will help.
I hope this info helps.

Leonghitis…… I have been hearing about the tens machine on this forum… I have one but would not know how to use it…. Where are you supposed to on ace the pads exactly as I would try it for sure.
Thanks

Thanks Leonghitis. Good to know. In my neck of the woods the place which provides Emsella chair treatment requires urologist to approve the treatment for the patient. My urologist was very opposed to the idea. I didn't press further. I think by now I would much rather buy a portable tens machine to do these kind of treatments at home by myself. I am only 8 weeks post PR so am still giving more time to heal befor getting creative. My incontinence is out of control and truthfully I am blaming the surgeon for being sloppy and careless during the surgery. I can understand some leakage and was expecting such but I leak nonstop and have absolutely no feeling down there to even attempt to control the leakage. It's almost like my bladder had been removed together with the prostate. Oh well, am not buying any Powerball lottery tickests anymore that's for sure. 😉

The place I go for physiotherapy provides tens machine sessions and the device they use has external skin electrode pads plus an anal probe. I didn't see it or used it yet physiotherapist described it to me. I did ask her for the brand /make but she says the company doesn't sell these particular devices to general public. Me think someone went wild with it.. could be a liability issue. They use these things for ED as well .. maybe someone parted from this world with a huge grin on their face. We'll never know.

The TENS device involves a probe which you insert into the rectum. I’m not sure how it works with the pads.

My PT had me use a TENS device during a session. It vibrated and tickled a bit. I bought one on Amazon for about $35. Jury is still out. She did stick the pads on my ankle like LEONGHITIS described. No anal probe. (Oh ick!) Supposedly there is a nerve that runs from the foot to the bladder area, confirmed by my primary care doctor. Most of my care seems like it's borderline voodoo and not intuitive to believe. Poppycock and Preposterous describes how much I think about it, but what should I do? No other avenues-a mind over matter debate?
72 yo woman here.Thanks for helping me understand options available.