Responding to husband’s incontinence

Archives1

Staff member
What is the least embarrassing way to bring up noticing my husband’s incontinence? I have talked to him about this and he says the reason is because he is in a hurry but it happens too much for me to believe that. He did have Rezum therapy several years ago with dubious results. (The procedure was also VERY painful if anyone out there is considering this for an enlarged prostate)

it is quite embarrassing and for me a real hit to my ego and masculinity. At this point I have accepted my issues and deal with them privately. Once in a great while my wife will notice something and just give me some hints without drawing attention directly to it, especially in public, that I have a leak that has escaped my diaper. She has gone as far as throwing a glass of water at my lap though if we are out and I have a larger leak. She plays as if she was mad at me about something else so everyone thinks it is just water. Thankfully, this only happened one time after we were sitting for a long time and I stood only to find I was not pointed well and did not notice.

I am not sure from your post where you stand in the journey down this road. If I had a suggestion it would be to be understanding, treat it as no big deal, and be there when he wants to talk about it, but do not push it. My wife listened when I had to vent, but rarely asks directly. She deals with soiled sheets, a bit of a smell from the waste bin, and a bit more laundry to do - though I help with it all too.

I had the REZUM procedure about 2 years ago, but I had general anesthesia. So, no pain there; only mild discomfort for a few days afterward.

Prior to that, I had an Interstim device implanted. It has helped tremendously with urgency and frequency.

I have always been able to talk openly with my wife. I'm sure there are others here who will have some suggestions for you with the communication issue.

Hi Babsjean
I think a couple things are of general help.
First remember that he is probably horrified and scared after a medical diagnosis and very painful procedure and doesn't want to think about doing more. So he doesn't want to talk about it.

A friend of mine said, "always begin with the end in mind"

Meaning What is YOUR goal go meet YOUR needs for handling
HIS incontinence. What exact things do you personally want to fix?

is your discomfort the added laundry?
The need to buy extra bed protection or fear of an accident in public because he won't wear discret protection?
Once you figure out the small problems then you can quietly bring product support to address one at a time, those things.(it took alot of time for me to accept i am still myself and still loved respected and valued but simple things like saying randomly, We love you. Or I put some protection (euphemism for diapers or bed waterproof cover) next to the bed or in the bedside table
If its affecting you emotionally as an unpleasant issue (it can well be an intimate and difficult subject) you can talk/ listen here with us and hopefully desensitize yourself to what is a medical condition that varies in intensity or reason for the folks here. Prostate issues and medical intervention has been a major contributing factor for many men here.
I mention euphemism many folk here prefer to call a diaper a diaper but was has helped me as a woman (mother, lover) is addressing my incontinence as a disability (to husband, you have a minor disability right now, how can we handle this situation ie; laundry hotel stay unexpected public leak)
I find talking and listening here. here is very to reorienting self acceptance over time.
You took the first step already by reaching out to this forum!

Babsjean said:
What is the least embarrassing way to bring up noticing my husband’s incontinence? I have talked to him about this and he says the reason is because he is in a hurry but it happens too much for me to believe that. He did have Rezum therapy several years ago with dubious results. (The procedure was also VERY painful if anyone out there is considering this for an enlarged prostate)

I also have had the Rezum therapy and it was the most painful thing I have every experienced, and I have had Kidney stones. I think the reason they undersell the pain is the procedure is done in the doctor's office for revenue reasons and they can't give anything to alleviate pain in their office. I also got NO relief from the procedure and have not seen my urologist since then as I longer have any trust.

MezaJarJarBinks said:
I had the REZUM procedure about 2 years ago, but I had general anesthesia. So, no pain there; only mild discomfort for a few days afterward.

Prior to that, I had an Interstim device implanted. It has helped tremendously with urgency and frequency.

I have always been able to talk openly with my wife. I'm sure there are others here who will have some suggestions for you with the communication issue.

Please help clear up something. If you had the interstim device implanted and it did help why did you have the Rezum procedure after that? Thanks for helping me understand. (my urologist wanted me to have the interstim device implanted but after the experience with Rezum I have no trust in his advice)

@Babsjean Does he use any products for incontinency?

If not I suggest the following.

In his bathroom toilet area, place 3 depends pads and a roll of 15 large dog poop bags. Open one of the poop bags so that he sees to place a used pad in it. Add a small trash can with a bag / liner. Keep the supplies to a minimum. If he starts using them, increase the supply.

I had a prostatectomy on Sept 24, 2020 (5 weeks ago) and I am single living alone. I started out with a weeks worth of supplies out at one time. This was too much for me mentally.

I have a stand alone toilet paper hold with a magazine slot / rack. I put 4 depends pullups and 8 pads in it. The small trash can is against the same wall as the toilet. The dog waste bags roll are only 2 inches long and an inch in diameter.

You asked for help with communicating when the person does not think he has a problem or does not want to talk about it. I suggest ( all any of us can do ) putting out the supplies, see if he uses them, then talk or write with him. Let him know you care and you can help.

I would probably confront him in a place where you know your absolutely alone.I would tell him I know your going through a difficult time with incontience and are exhausted by procedures.

I can't imagine what your facing but I want you to know that I'll stay with you all the way. If you decide you want to wear protection rather than proceed any further it won't stop me from loving you. Just think about it.

If he is like me he probably will need time to think and time to accept. Not having to have an answer on the spot is probably what would work for me but everyone is different.

Thank you all for your insights. I’m afraid I have been less than sympathetic because of his refusal to admit there is a problem. I have suggested pads, even my panty liners, trying not to make a big deal out of it, but am met with blank looks or saying there isn’t an issue. Clearly, he is not ready to address his incontinence, so I will step aside for a time. This does make me anxious, always looking at his pants to be sure he isn’t going out in public with wet pants. It also kills any spontaneity in the bedroom or elsewhere. So far, I haven’t told him this is the reason, because I think he should know or want to be clean for me. I know communication is the key, but it is not easy wanting to spare hurt feelings.

You’re not alone; my mom has had to deal with this with my dad. He’d rather use a urinal by the bed at night than wear a diaper. Accordingly, he leaks in their bed. Now she sleeps in what used to be my bedroom. Because of my dad’s stubborn refusal to wear protection coupled with his mobility issues (he had two partial foot amputations in 2019) - and my mom’s relentless sense of duty to him (she won’t even eat a meal without him!), they now live a depressingly travel-free life and don’t go out in public. It deeply saddens me for both of them. I wish my mom would snap out of her 1950s-era thinking and go without him, but I don’t think that will happen until he’s dead. They’ve been together since age 15 and are 72. He’s in poor, diabetic health so maybe one day, she’ll get to go on vacation with *me.*

My advice to you is, whatever happens, don’t let him trap you and bring you down. An ultimatum may work and/or be necessary if other measures suggested here don’t pan out. I do like the idea of leaving out some protection options, but not overwhelmingly so. A giant pack of diapers is nobody’s idea of pleasant. A few at a time is a more manageable concept.

Snow, the commitment to see through thick and thin the needs of a loved one are hard to observe but it will ultimately be the path to peace for your mother.

Thank you MayMay, I need to remember that too with my folks.
Gave me a new way to think about things lately and I genuinely appreciate that🙂

I was a little taken aback by Snow’s comments, particularly the part that it might take his father’s death before his mother is “free”. To be honest, I haven’t given much thought to how my adult children would view our situation because I haven’t told them. We are both 73 and fairly active, still taking long walks, traveling to see our grandchildren, taking care of our home and grounds. It seems like we are in the early stages of this journey after reading comments from this forum. I hope I will be able to discontinue trying to control the narrative of his situation and be more compassionate.

Hi Babsjean you are an intelligent and caring spouse and like all partners in a long term life dance you know your own waltz of communication with your husband.
It sounds like you know how to signal him you are not feeling intimate because poor hygiene is disrespectful to YOU. That is probably the most important thing, that you respect yourself and are learning to be patient while he sorts out his reaction to his trauma.
I keep thinking he is in a state of denial because it's very frightening to have an invasive medical procedure and ones body doesn't behave.
This is my opinion of course, based on how I handled my nocturia, (state of denial, oh that must have been a one off accident)I cant speak for other members commentary

Denial is tough to deal with. If it were my wife trying to tell me something that I wanted to ignore, I would think that a direct approach would be best. Ideas like just putting pads and disposal bags where he can see them and leaving it as a strong hint would not work for me - I'd be quite angry, in fact, over what I'd see as passive-aggressive behavior and an unwillingness to talk with me about issues. Having a discussion after your husband is already angry with you is probably not the best way to bring him around to your point of view.

With the direct approach, you also risk making him angry. That's a pretty normal reaction when people are forced to confront issues that they would rather ignore. But for me, if rather deal with anger over a situation than anger over refusing to communicate.

One final thought is that you say you feel like he should want to be clean for you. Firstly, if this is your expectation, have you told him this? I have no idea what my wife expects or wants from me unless she tells me - maybe your husband is different from me, but I don't do the whole thing and inuendo thing very well. Aldi, is it about his problem, or is it about yours? Your concerns are certainly valid, but he may be more receptive to hearing about how the problem is hiring him than about how it's hurting you. Does he know that his pants are sometimes wet? Does he know that he probably smells like urine sometimes when he leaves the house? Most people are more motivated to solve problems of this sort that impact them than they are too solve problems that impact someone else.

So much depends on the nature of your marriage and your communication styles. I can tell you what would work for my wife and me, but it may not be right for you. So please take my comments as one possible route, but understand that that route might not be the right one for you.

Itapilot I agree, anger is a natural reaction to being forced to look at a deep fear in the eye no matter how one approaches the problem when you can't fight or flight ones own body
I think Babsjean is wisely deciding to focus on her needs and what she can control, herself, her actions in response to his incontinence in this but I hear her saying she knows its going to be a long process.