Regular underware

Archives1

Staff member
Looking for advise, coming into hot weather, i am a avid golfer. I need to wear a pad and I get very hot and sweaty down there. So any body have experence with type of regular underware to help control heat and sweat. But can hold a pad.

I also golf and have the same issue. Puma briefs from Costco with a regular depends pad is what I’ve been using. Pads stay in place. The depends shields are more comfortable, but don’t provide as much protection. I prefer to walk rather than ride and my leakage issues are mostly due to physical stress.

I use Saxx, which has a ball pouch that is good for pads. I recommend a size down from what you normally wear, as it will keep you snugger and less likely to leak.

@Parone1977
For incontinent men, hot weather brings on the added "WET" of sweat to mix with urine. You may want to consider wearing a penile clamp while you are active and hot. Empty your bladder every hour or so and re-clamp. Limit the activity to two hours, remove the clamp, and cool off; wipe off the sweat and other WET.

I use an external catheter with a drain tube and a leg bag. That prevents urine wetness from the crotch and legs. However, the sweat will shorten the time in which the catheter will remain in place (the glue will soften and slide off). But, you may get as much as six hours of use before the catheter removes itself. With light movement, I get at least 12 hours of stable use before washing, drying, and replacing the catheter.

If you want to continue beyond the limit of the external catheter, simply apply the clamp over the external catheter to extend the time. The external catheter will keep your bladder drained so that when you apply the clamp, you are beginning clamp time with an empty bladder.

Changing from pads and pull-ups to an external catheter requires determination and dedicated effort until it becomes a part of you.
The change-over actually requires a change of mindset. It's not a piece of cake but it IS DOABLE and the results (for me) are worth the extra effort.

The golf game is good for you. Have a good summer!

There are several washable and reusable incontinence briefs for men. I like a brand called ProtechDry (and in truth it's the only brand I have tried). They are excellent. Not only do they keep you dry, but they look just like regular boxer briefs. They come in black and in white. They are a little pricey, but worth the money.

I have had good luck with Abri Fix by Abena. They are underwear made specifically for use with pads. I work outdoors and they stay reasonably cool in all conditions

@DanCarr You wrote, “For incontinent men, hot weather brings on the added ‘WET’ of sweat to mix with urine,” as if that’s a male-only problem. Nope, the same thing happens to women. Not sure why you thought that was a male-only problem.

@Parone1977

Slightly hooking from your direct question. Whether hiking, working, or golfing in the summer heat I find pacing the best - rest more frequently, drink more, and alter your wardrobe. I loose water really fast from working outside(skin, breathing) and replenishing is important.

Some ideas:

1. wear thinner products (Abena 0 or 1) and cloth backing for breathability
2. looser, lighter color, clothing - fwiw sports materials breath/wick better than cotton
3. change more frequently even if they are not wet/urine

Back on the fairway (topic), sports compression pants are my base. I start with a pull-on and usually just keep a spare one/two in my golf bag. I've also found molicare 6d w/ the elastic attachments (belt-like) are really comfortable/flexible and a snap to put on. I change at the turn or bathrooms scattered across the course. At desperate times, deep in the rough/trees (harder with link style courses).

Also a golfer, and I’ve used Nike compression shorts with a pad large enough to catch one full bladder. I’ve found this works great for an unrestricted swing (free movement). I’m susceptible to leaks when sitting, but haven’t had issues walking the course and play the same as before needing protection…Fore!

snow said:
@DanCarr You wrote, “For incontinent men, hot weather brings on the added ‘WET’ of sweat to mix with urine,” as if that’s a male-only problem. Nope, the same thing happens to women. Not sure why you thought that was a male-only problem.

touche`