recurrent UTIs probably due to fecal incontinence in women

Archives1

Staff member
I have had three UTIs since in the last 6 months with Klebsiella being the bacteria. I had to be treated with a daily rocephin injection for 3 days. I now have been referred to an urologist.

I think that the UTIs may very well be cause from the fecal incontinence although I am extremely clean. Just the nature of the beast.

I was wondering if any other women had experienced this problem and what worked for them in solving the problem.

I currently take 3 lomotil a day, an align capsule and have started taking one dose of metamucil a day to decrease the number of incidents I have.

I go to the bathroom perhaps 6 times in the morning with primarily formed stool. Some days I have explosive immediate problems of liquid stool. The foods that I eat don't seem to be consistent in causing any bowel issues. Thanks for your thoughts.

My UTUs are caused by my atrophied vaginal tissues (post menopausal) which makes my system susceptible to UTIs. Are you post menopausal? I am 65 years old. I use Premarin brand estrogen cream at bedtime several times a week and that has decreased the occurrences of the UTIs. Why don’t you discuss this with your gynecologist or urologist? I see a urogynecologist

@jah Wow how people do vary. I am taking two laxatives, stool softeners, daily prunes, and high fiber diet to go once a day. Otherwise it's once a week and very hard, difficult, bloody, and painful (probably caused by too much furosemide). Also I'm a guy which makes a world of difference in this area. No UTIs though:cool:

I wish you all the luck in resolving your problems.

I used to have this problem a lot when I was smaller because of how ineffective the briefs I wore were. As soon as I could move to adult briefs i remember doctors suggesting trying the more heavy duty briefs which i really really hated but actually seemed to have solved the issue somewhat because since that time I didn't really have any issues for a few years.
But still it's something I worry about a lot especially since I have frequent bowel accidents.
probably look into better breifs to deal with it? Also cleaning up/changing asap can help. I know sometimes when you're out and about there might not be much of a choice but i guess it's something just to deal with.