Radiation then 7 years later prostate removal

Archives1

Staff member
4 months out from robotic prostate removal after radiation for prostate cancer 7 years ago. Incontinence still bad ( 2-3 depends per day). Question, has anyone had radiation then surgery and was able to get dry at some point? I want to believe that doing an hour of exercise for incontinence each day plus walking 3 miles a day is not for naught? Has anyone been down my path and could offer some insight?
Thanks much.

I elected to have surgery first. I was told 7 yrs ago that they could not remove the prostate after it had been through radiation.

No, but I had the total prostatectomy and 3 depends a day is bad at that point. I put the pads in them and switch out as needed. You can weigh the pad and then weigh when you change it to see how much you are leaking. Do this every two weeks and see if improvement.
I chimed in on this because you are where i was at at 4 months with the tp alone.
Switching pads is easier especially if not home

I had a similar experience as you did -- I had radiation and then 10 years later had a salvage radical proctectomy. Initially I had very high "leakage". I continued to walk 1-3 miles per day and did many Kegels multiple times per day. After 2 years I still have leakage. If I am doing strenuous activities or walking long distances the leakage can be significant. If I am doing minimal strenuous activities, driving or sitting I very lightly leak. I continued to see improvement over a 9 -12 month period but now have not seen any further improvement. On a light day I will go through about 3 pads and on strenuous activity days it can be as high as 6. I did go for physical therapy to make sure I was doing my Kegels correctly and it did initially help. Good luck, stay positive and keep trying.

I had radiation then a second TURP using a laser 5 years later, which was not nearly as traumatic as having a prostatectomy, but is surgery none the less. I had pretty heavy leakage for the first year, but now things have settled down a bit. Still use 1-2 medium pads a day; more if I'm really active.

Hopefully your situation will improve with time, and continuing your Kegels, but when you do prostate surgery after radiation there is a high probability you will have some level of permanent incontinence.

Good luck!