Radiation Side Effects

Archives1

Staff member
I am now four and and half months post radical prostatectomy. I am beginning to regain some urinary control, but my post operation PSA test came back at .3 so I still have some remaining cancer.

My urologist has recommended radiation therapy which is scheduled to begin soon. I believe that radiation is probably my best chance to become cancer free, but I am still very concerned about long term side effects to my urinary system and my bowels.

Has anyone here experienced bad long term effects? Thanks much for any information. Dan

Dan:

I don't know if I would call it "bad long term effects" but I definitely have long term effects of radiation. I had radical prostatectomy in 2016 and was completely continent after removal of the catheter. A Urologist convinced me I should go through radoation therapy in early 2017, so I did. Approximately 20 months after completion of radiation therapy I experienced incontinence, and worse, bladder bleeding. I can't tell you how many visits I made to the ER to have a catheter inserted due to blood clots. They finally went into my bladder and cauterized the blood vessels. I have not had a reoccurance of the bleeding but am still incontinent to date. Now for the good news, my PSA is still undetectable.

Good luck with your decision.

I have slight stress leaks at 20 months post surgery. PSA climbed to 1.3, so I need radiation. I'm going to have a sling put in b4 radiation because you can't have sling surgery after radiation. I'm going to see an uncoligest for a 2nd opinion having a different approach to radiation that can do bladder damage. Good luck.

I was close to continence at a little over a year after my RP. Then I had a PSA of .18. I had 39 radiation treatments that ended in early February of this year. I also had hormone treatment (one injection). I now have some incontinence, using about one pad a day. I'm trying to get serious about my pelvic floor exercises, but I suspect that it’s tough to build muscles when your testosterone is virtually nonexistent.

On the positive side, my PSA is <0.01. I'm still hopeful there will be some improvement in continence. Time will tell.

I was almost back to continence within 4 months of the RP - less than an ounce in my pads per day. But, my PSA showed up, and I did 40 radiation visits, plus two hormone shots. I did my kegels throughout. However, four months after the end of my radiation, the spigot turned on, first to 5 ounces/day, then to 10, and now 30-40 ounces some days. My urologist has put me on MYRBETRIQ, which had some positive effects, and I’m now three weeks after Botox injections into the bladder walls. So far, no significant change. The good news is that the Artificial Sphincter is still available. The other good news is no detectable PSA, and my lifestyle in general is very good. I just have to plan ahead. I also have started using the penis clamp, which helps control the flow.

Prior to my RP, my PSA was around 15. Four months after prostate removal, PSA had dropped to 0.5 which I thought was pretty good but the Dr. did not think so. He wanted it basically 0 or what they term as non-detectable (ND).

I was scheduled for radiation about three months later and the Dr. also put me on a Lupron shot regimen (4 shots over 2 years). By the start of radiation, the PSA had continued to drop from what was 0.5 to 0.2. After radiation treatments (around 30 treatments as I remember) the PSA dropped to 0 and has remained at 0 so far (5 years now). They indicate that the longer it remains at 0, the ore likelihood of long-term success.

I did not have any bowel or bladder issues as a result of the radiation. I do think though that it impacts continence issues since I still go through 3 to 4 Depends a day regardless of my attention to Kegels. But, at age 70 and being retired, I can deal with that and just keep telling myself that dealing with continence issues is better than the cancer alternative. (Most days I take that approach but some days not so much).

First of all. One can certainly have sling surgery after radiation. I had sling surgery 1.5 years after radiation and it was successful. My urologist explained that the studies regarding sling surgery are done on people who have not had radiation; therefore, the study results are all about non radiated patients. I would definitely consult other urologists about having the sling surgery before radiation.
I had RP in Aug 2018. PSA was not quite 0 and began slow rise. I had 1 year of hormone treatment and radiation in Mar - Apr of 2020, completing the hormones in Sept 2020. My incontinence had gotten much better, but started to get gradually worse a few months after radiation. Eventually I had the sling surgery in Nov 2021, which was very successful. In my case, the long term effect of radiation is looser and softer stools which are helped with daily doses of extra fiber. Thank God that PSA is nondectable after the radiation and that the sling surgery was very successful. I believe the key is having a good radiation team that are very careful with the treatments. Hope the info helps and wish you the best.

I thank you all for the feedback. It is good to have this message board to communicate with folks who are kind enough to share their experiences. God bless you.