Question, Any one had a SPECT Scan?

Archives1

Staff member
I was watching a Youtube video and someone on the video was talking about how much information a neurologist can get from a spect scan. I thought about how much it would show my doctors what is going on with my brain so that they could try to figure out what is going on.

I’ve never had one. I’ve always wanted a PET scan which can illuminate mental health conditions or lack of conditions and reasons for having those conditions, but have never found a place in UT that does them. I’m sure they gave them in LA. I think PET scans are used for more for research than diagnosis.

From what I know from four years of transcribing radiology exam dictations, nuclear medicine scans like a SPECT are typically used to monitor cancer progression. But I think you should ask about having one because what you have going on is as serious as cancer. Know that if you do have a SPECT scan, you’ll be so radioactive that you’ll likely have to spend 1 to 2 nights in a hospital in an isolation room. Then when you get home you’re not allowed to sleep with anybody or a pet for a number of weeks if not months.

At least, that’s what my mom had to do when she received nuclear medicine - the isolation part. She took a pill to annihilate her thyroid, so it was probably more nuclear medication than a SPECT scan.

@snow

I saw a podcast were Miley Cyrus said she had a Spect scan and her doctor was able to help her with a lot of things all the way down to what she should eat to help her brain work better, how much she should sleep, and why she needed brakes from stress.

@ThatFLGuy You can certainly ask your docs if having a SPECT scan could be beneficial for you. All they can say is no. I think Miley’s claims sound a little dramatic but they’re probably somewhat true.

@ThatFLGuy I have had one of these scans, it was useful in that it confirmed things I suspected, but didnt find anything new. As snow says it involves being injected with a radioactive isotope, waiting for the isotope to circulate and then being scanned. Here in the UK you are told to stay away from anyone under 16 for several days. I seem to remember that it is 3 days before you can mix freely again. I dont remember any particular side effects apart from pain at the injection site.

@snow
snow said:
At least, that’s what my mom had to do when she received nuclear medicine - the isolation part. She took a pill to annihilate her thyroid, so it was probably more nuclear medication than a SPECT scan.

I had thyroid cancer and thyroidectomy in 2011, followed by a single radioactive iodine-131 pill. I didn't have to stay in the hospital, but I had to isolate myself from everyone for about a week at home (even had to flush the toilet multiple times to get it out of the house). The iodine-131 was to kill any cells that may have escaped the thyroidectomy to prevent a new thyroid from growing elsewhere in the body.