Question about condom catheter

Archives1

Staff member
I've tried a condom catheter several times with limited success. The condom slips off and the whole setup then becomes useless. Someone mentioned to me that you can get something at the drugstore to help the catheter adhere to the penis and keep the condom from falling off. Does anyone know what this is?

I found the way to use regular condoms. Much cheaper . Made a little hole at the top of a condom fished it onto a plastick end of the catheter's tube than placed two small rubber rings to hold the condom attached to the catheter's tube. Works well , to prevented the condom from sliding off Mr. Nasty I use a velcro strip to hold it in place. So far works well during walks

@Walter Are you using a sport length condom or a longer one? Do you clean your penis thoroughly with no fragrance soap and dry completely? I use a paper towel for final drying rather than a damp towel. It is also important to grasp your penis firmly the entire length so that the warmth of your hand helps the adhesive stick better. Make sure you are sized properly. Too large will not stay in place. Good luck. Don’t give up!

I also use these…..
e8d07048ed43463aceef47fb031edb74.jpg

A key issue is getting proper measurement. I use the Coloplast Conveen. They sent me lots of samples and there is a measuring wheel to get the proper diameter. I always have to use adhesive remover to get the conveen released when I'm heading off to bed. If I didn't use the adhesive remover it would be painful and risk tearing the skin. In over two years I have never once had a conveen slip off.

My question is, how does your Condom Cath (CC) slip off????
Does it roll up from the back? Leaving adhesive that needs to be cleaned.
Or does it balloon, starting from the head?
How long does it stay in place?

Great advice and I agree with both Hbrownlow and Kwell. I had trouble because I was using a soap with lotions and oils (irish spring), great soap that I still use everywhere except my penis. I use (ivory) for my special area. I also had trouble with size/length of the condom cath. It was actually privately emailing back and forth with Kwell11 that helped me figure out what worked. I found I needed to have short CC's with the adhesive far forward, the glue actually comes onto the head of my penis. Like Hbrownlow I have to be very very careful when removing the CC or injury results. Usually remove the CC in the shower with warm water and ivory soap. Point is, be careful with the adhesive. It has taken me 3-7 days back in diapers to heal injuries inflicted by not being careful with CC removal.

Good luck! The time spent figuring out what works, has been well worth it for me.

Walter you may be using a non-adhesive condom. If you get the correct size with either a long or short adhesive section they really shouldn't move. I use the Conveen Optima with the draw piece (which assists the roll on) and I've had no movement whatsoever. I use the Brava adhesive removal spray to remove it. Mine fits better than a glove. Have patience but don't give up. CC changed my life and I'm not going back

My story is identical to Philos. Works like a real treat. Of course its not what we wanted but its much better than pads in my view. I am dry at night so its nice to get respite from the condom to allow the skin to breathe.

@wessmith60 Thank you for the Skin-Prep suggestion. The skin-prep wipes work great and no more irritations. I think I have become sensitive to the adhesive that is used and I was getting sores. During last weeks Urologists appointment I asked about using them. She told me that it is a great way to protect the skin and she recommends them. It's been over 2 weeks and no more irritations. The only issue is that it prolongs removal and application of the external catheter time. I am good with the time, because my skin is healthier.

Thank you R

Redcat & Wes thank you for your advice re the skin prep. I also was starting to get slight skin irritations from the condom catheter and was considering taking a week off and using another IC management. However, after reading what Wes recommended, I went out and bought the spray. Wow this has solved the problem. No irritation and what seems to be a better fitting, more secure condom. I'm happy thank you guys
f968fb222e26c81a20de966e9e8cb0b3.jpg

First couple times worked like a charm but a few days later had 2,came off in the same day . The urine backs up causing it to ballon starting from the head . What am I doing wrong

@Brandnewdude
We will help if we can.

It can be very frustrating in the beginning! But as you have seen here, for some of us, we have been able to free ourselves from pads and diapers. You also have to get past the embarrassment of the occasional accident. We all have medical issues that lead to or cause IC. Once the IC is under control, the need to isolate has ended for us. I have my freedom and confidence back thanks to external catheters. I found keeping a log of what I tried, what worked, what failed, and what caused me trouble was very helpful.

Questions are:

What type of soap do you use?

Did you either download or use the size gauge from one of the suppliers?

What activity were you doing when you had a failure?

Is the tubbing to the bag to short or to long?

The list goes on. R

@Brandnewdude You have a kink or restriction in the tubing leading to the bag. That is the only time I have had that sort of problem. I have used wide elastic catheter straps to hold the tubing in place. I also use the Coloplast Conveen and that brand sticks like glue. When I apply the condom catheter, I make sure my penis is clean and dry. I have also found that it helps to be erect when rolling it on. (Like any other condom) I hope this helps.