Putting diaper on

Archives1

Staff member
For those that use tape on products, how do you put it on yourself?

I have tried laying down, and leaning against the wall. I find it much easier to do standing up against the wall rather than laying on the bed. For me I see to get a better fit and don't hurt my neck trying to see what I am doing.

What is your preference? Are there other methods?

I almost always used the against the wall method. Especially when out and about and needed to change.

Like you I find standing up is the only way to do it myself. I have been diapering myself for many years and have always done it standing up. The only time I lay down is when a nurse or CNA put a diaper on me. Then it seems much easier for them. I’m glade you are doing it yourself. It really helps me accept diapering. Hope this helps.

@Chris318 Yeah I have only recently switched to wearing diapers rather than pull-ups. Have not been hospitalized or in another health care setting where a nurse or CNA would diaper me thankfully. Pretty sure I would argue with them and tell them to just let me do it, and probably lose the argument due to liability reasons for the facility. I hope not to need to face that situation for a long time.

Standing against the wall is the best way I've found. I've found many posts saying it's the hardest way to do it and laying down is the easiest, but I just don't see it. I've even tried a mirror above me (I know, it sounds kinky, right? I'm a very pragmatic sort of guy, but whatever works), but I just couldn't get my brain to work with the reverse imaging.
Once you have the experience of knowing the "landing zones" for the tapes, sitting could work, but standing is still my go to/only method.
Once you know the landing zone area, it does get much easier. I use Abena abri-form M4 products, which have a non-ABDL print on the plastic, so I have a reference point for where the tapes need to be. Otherwise, for daytime, I've been using ATN'S, which I can see the leak guard through the plastic, if the lighting is right and that provides a reference point.
Hope this helps you, but looking forward to other's input. I just might learn something too.

Here is a way I have taught myself. I have figured out where is best to land the tapes every time. I lay the diaper on the bed or something flat. I take the front side edges and fold then inward. Then put the tapes in there places. Then put the baby powder in the diaper and diaper rash cream. Then grab the diaper so its like putting on a pull-up. Pull the diaper on. I know its more steps but I pretty much have it down to a T. Our minds work in mysterious ways. Everyone has a niche on how they make things easier on themselves. Practice, practice, practice will make things much better. For everyone out there, the world is a big sandbox. We never stop learning from one another. Keep helping each other and don't let anyone get in your way.

@Chris318 I don’t know about liability but when I first started having issues the doc sent me to the hospital for a couple days to check for a bunch of nerve damage, MS etc. I used catha at first but about half way into my stay the nurse actually said she was switching me to diapers to prep me for managing things myself. She put one on me standing to teach me how to do it and then subsequently I changed myself, standing not leaning or laying. Obviously it depends on your condition and if you can safely stand, balance etc.

I always do it against the wall; there was one time I did it in bed with a product that wasn't really big enough for me, and lying down gave me a better fit.

Basically always do it standing leaning against something. Laying down is more difficult unless someone is assisting.

Depends on the position I’m going to be in after changing. If it’s during the day, changing against a wall helps me get a better fit for sitting and standing voids, but if I’m going to be sleeping or am home sick having a Netflix day or something I change laying down as that gives me a better fit for sleeping. I too have experienced a sore neck with the laying method, so put a thick pillow under my head to prevent it.

This is a good question that's been asked about a dozen times.

I change against a wall or behind a door when I am wearing protection during the day due to bad bladder spasms. I recently have been looking into cloth alternative diapers called "Threaded Armor" - but unfortunately have not been able to financially afford them as of yet.

I struggle with the fact that the pain from the spasms cause myself to need to urinate every 15 minutes to the half hour - and at night when laying down - I struggle with the pain from the spasms which is why I require more adequate protection.

I am blessed to know that I am looking for alternatives that are going to give myself the confidence and independence of not having to wear traditional disposable cloth briefs - but am also scared because cloth you have to do laundry for and I don't know if it's something I can put in a bag in the washing machine or something that's even possible to do at a laundry facility.

Which may be why I may have to resort to GoSupreme Pull ons for my bladder spasms. The problem I've had with cheaper protection is that they hug below the naval which worsens the pain and urge to urinate - but even in cloth underwear the pain does not subside.

I truly wish I could say that I can wear underwear for the rest of my life - because I want to. But without protection; I have little to zero quality of life.

And is life worth living in pain and agony just to make others happy? Not a chance.

Hopefully I will be changing in the future to cloth pull up products - but for now I change on the wall when I wear.

Blessings In Christ,
Honeeecombs

When at home I find changing myself in bed better for myself. I do have balance problems due to drop foot and other MS issues. I also find I get a much better fit and tightness to the diaper while on the bed. When I am out of the house I do use the wall due to the many back surgeries leaning down to pull up between legs his hard and like I said I het it in tighter laying down. When I do have a diaper leak it is generally when I have changed against a wall and the diaper definitely says a lot more.

I'm usually a "Stand-against-the-wall" guy, when putting on my diapers, and that goes for both disposable diapers and cloth diapers. Part of it comes from when I first started wearing diapers again, as my incontinence got worse. I had a waterbed at the time, and I tried getting diapered a few times while lying on the bed, and it was just to awkward. My hips and bottom would just sink into the waterbed, and I could never get a good fit.
And of course another reason I "Use the Wall" is when changing when away from home. I mean, who's gonna lay down on the floor of a public restroom?!?!? Ewww !!! I even hate trying to change a pull-up in a public restroom - Even if you tear the wet one off, you still gotta take your shoes off, then your pants off to put a new one on. It's much easier to change a disposable diaper when I'm out and about.

Honeeecombs said:

I figured it had been, but did not see it in the most recent posts. I like to as open ended question so that more participate and I can learn more about others in this community.

I have not personally tried threaded armor but I like how discreet they look. I just cannot imagine at ~$60 a piece they are all that cost effective if you use 5 a day and need a few days worth at minimum to get through laundry day.

I have tried other cloth diapers but I do not have the executive function to stay on top of the chores that come with cloth products.

Vettesfan86 said:
Honeeecombs said:

I figured it had been, but did not see it in the most recent posts. I like to as open ended question so that more participate and I can learn more about others in this community.

I have not personally tried threaded armor but I like how discreet they look. I just cannot imagine at ~$60 a piece they are all that cost effective if you use 5 a day and need a few days worth at minimum to get through laundry day.

I have tried other cloth diapers but I do not have the executive function to stay on top of the chores that come with cloth products.

Hey @Vettesfan86;

I don't know if you've heard of pads that are made to fit in mesh pants - something I personally wouldn't wear - but I resonate with the feelings of laundering and how much time and hassle it would be with the amount of cloth products vs disposable.

The thing with threaded Armor that I personally like though is that they look like underwear. So I figured by utilizing existing full cut bladder pads to go inside of the cloth underwear; you could essentially swap them in an out and wouldn't even have to step out of the underwear; just I guess pull down to the knees.

I'm trying to think of ideas - that are going to give me the best possible protection that is discreet. I don't want others to think im wearing; but also want others to know I can take care of it.

So here is the product i was talking about; I don't know if other companies make products like these.

e1ea7123c359e0941df7e04b1e61a17c.png

If they do; that would be awesome. Here's a picture of the threaded Armor underwear for reference:

0554b54934b59a1663477fbfb2565810.png

I'm assuming if you swap the boosters for the disposable pad; the sound would be muffled by the underwear but you wouldn't have to worry about changing underwear so often unless with leaks.

Blessings In Christ,
Honeeecombs