PSI 3+ months after RP

Archives1

Staff member
Just returned from my Urologist my PSI is 0.499 this is a little over 3 months after RP. He asked if I am having leakage and when I told him I have no control and go through about 8 Pads a day. He was not happy about this (I’m not either!) so I gotta go back in 6 mo for another PSI test! If still high I will need to go for another Cat scan! He was really surprised about all this. The original PET scan only showed cancer in the prostrate. He removed 20 lymph nodes and said they were all cancer free.

Keep the faith. Kegels and consider pelvic therapy. I did it and have minimal to no leakage 6 months after surgery. Also been good since about 3.5 to 4 months

From what I can gather, they would like to see less than 0.1 PSA. Even with a low number they will want further PSA testing. My urologist said that with a good number, it would be 3 months, 3 months, 6 months, yearly frequency after surgery.
As for the incontinence, I was in the same "leaky boat" as you until about 4 months post surgery, then, I had almost miraculous improvement of 50% per day, to the point that I in the last 4 weeks I have gone from 8 full diapers per day to hardly any leakage into 1 light pad per day that I only change because I don't like that being there too long - all in the last month. That being said, it's different for everyone. My improvement started with being dry overnight.

Regarding the leakage issue, it seems like the majority of us on this forum experience heavy leakage in the beginning and 3 months is not all that long so significant leakage is to be expected. I would think the urologist should be aware of this.

Regarding the PSA value of 0.499, I had similar values ~ 4 months after Prostate removal and my urologist immediately started me on hormone therapy and a radiation program. He attributed this reading to straggler cancer cells from the prostate removal and seemed to want to act sooner rather than later. Since completion of the radiation program and hormone therapy, my PSA has remained at 0 / non-detectable for 5.5 years now.

I don't think waiting 6 months for another PSA test is a good idea and I would suggest getting a second opinion from another urologist as he does not seem to have a clue on leakage issues and I wonder about waiting an additional 6 months for a PSA test with elevated values.

You can see what others on the forum think as well.

I was going to say, six months sounds wayyyyyy too long and you should change doctors, so I’m glad it’s six weeks.