PSA numbers

Archives1

Staff member
How does this work? PSA count is tied to your prostate so if you have your prostate totally removed your PSA supposedly goes to zero and that’s the goal right? I have yet to have a blood test since my surgery, I am reading where men have had their PSA count return after a year or two? How can that be if you don’t have a prostate, I saw a story where a man had his cancer come back after five years and he had a rising prostate number is that possible that’s why I’m confused the cancer turned out to be in his spine isn’t that just bone cancer? Looking for enlightenment ☮️

The prostate cancer can spread to somewhere in the body before it's removed and if so, you will get elevated PSA readings from prostate cancer, albeit the prostate has been removed.

PSA returning after robotect removal of Prostate is called BCR- biochemical relapse. Usually concerning after 3 raises at interval. This is due to residual cancer. It would be rare to have had some residual prostate left behind at operation. This usually leads to Salvage Radiation and anti hormonal rx.
Hope that helps.

Steve

A friend of mines husband not in forum the prostate cancer migrated to his bones so it was called prostate cancer tumor in his bones.
I guess you could say it metastasized. As in it spread from an original source before treatment.
I can say the husband in this case has had successful but ongoing treatment to halt the tumor in his bones since I can't comment further as I am just relating an incident personally know of.
I dont think it happens "to everyone " just as not all breast csncer metastasizes to other areas.

Puka your situation is not the same as someone else.
A man who did not get the prostate cancer detected early and then had prostate removed is in a different boat than you.
MY anecdote was to explain HOW you can have prostate cancer in the bone after removal.

If your surgeon said all gone dont worry I would go with that.

I think of it like some one who didn't go the dentist for many years and a cavity in the;tooth spread to bone loss below tooth.
A person who saw the dentist when the ccavity in his tooth was just starting and got it cleaned out does not have the problem of the person who had not treated his cavity initially so the decay had spread)

I saw that too a prostate that regrows talk about a miracle,, thanks for the feedback everyone, I will be posing these questions to my surgeon my second follow up is not until March 31 and my first blood test. Take care stay safe ☮️

My PSA was 63 after Zeus the robot took my prostate out. PC was in my lymph nodes so I just finished 6 rounds of chemo since Thanksgiving. My PSA soon dropped to .1 after the second Taxotere infusion. On Lupron, too.

I'm not sure if .1 is undetectable since it was detected. That always confuses me. More CT scans at the end of the week and I think I' on to zytiga and prednisone and more Lupron. The lupron kicks my butt, no pun intended.. .

MrCatman said:
My PSA was 63 after Zeus the robot took my prostate out. PC was in my lymph nodes so I just finished 6 rounds of chemo since Thanksgiving. My PSA soon dropped to .1 after the second Taxotere infusion. On Lupron, too.

I'm not sure if .1 is undetectable since it was detected. That always confuses me. More CT scans at the end of the week and I think I'm on to zytiga and prednisone and more Lupron. The lupron kicks my butt, no pun intended.. .

If they caught your cancer early with a low Gleason score and biopsied the areas around your prostate at the time of surgery then I would think that you should be pretty safe from it showing up elsewhere. But it is one of the risks.
As with other cancers they will continue to check more often to make sure. And if a PSA test does come back positive then they do have other treatments.
Let’s all hope that we don’t have to deal with that.
Incontinence and ED is bad enough without having more complications.
Here’s to staying dry and getting an erection!

As others have stated, prostate removal does not necessarily mean prostate cancer is gone. My urologist will be checking my psa for 5 years...surgery was Aug 2019. So far, undetectable. The only thing that will change over the 5 years is the time interval between tests, as long as the result is undetectable. As far as prostate cancer after prostate removal, my high school friend had this problem. It went into his bones. He had psa numbers in triple digits near the end. He died in January.

56vw
Sorry to hear about your friend.
That is why early detection is so damn important.
Lets hope that we were all on the early side of this. And if not its still about the odds and other treatment options.
For now lets just focus on continence.
And sex sex of course!

Regarding early detection for prostate cancer... How fast does it grow? I have yearly physicals and they run the PSA test every year. So the question is, is a yearly PSA test frequent enough to detect it early?

My PSA has been good so far, but of course I guess this can change at anytime as I age. (Early 60's now.)

A few years ago, my doc stopped doing the rubber glove - finger exam. He said the PSA test was good enough that they didn't need to do the "Finger" test anymore. Have you guys been told the same thing?

@MikeD9876 It is about how much the PSA changes year to year as well as rising above a certain number. My PSA went from 1.1 (2018), 2.3 (2019), then 3.3 (2020) in three years. A jump of 1 point or more per year is reasons to be concerned (retest and a see a urologist for a biopsy). If it jumps by a point, the Primary Care doctor should ask you to not have sex or masterbate 7 days and not to take B-supplements (Biotin) before next PSA test.

Not a medical person - just what happen with me.