PROSTATE CANCER/SURGERY/SEARCH FOR SOLUTIONS AUG.2008

Archives1

Staff member
My Surgeon removed my prostate and the 8 little cancers (I am cancer-free) and assigned me a physical therapist who started me on Kegel Exercises as the sum total of my recovery therapy. No literature, no explanations, and no counsel on expectations.

I did enough Kegels to ride a bicycle to Chicago and nothing changed, so I quit the Kegels. BIG MISTAKE. Two years later, I picked up the Kegels again. Fourteen years later I am still doing daily Kegels (for life).

Same experience. Difference is my RP was 5 years ago at 75 years now. Urologist left me to my own discovery with a very badly trained incontinence PT. Had me read a dated book with a story of a late 30’s guy, who had RP and 3 months later was continent due to kegels - nice myth that gave me false hope. Kept trying, became Kegel Jedi Master, but still leaked pad/day and 2 if active - as I usually am. Left to kegels forever, successfully or not. Only real continence is achieved with AUS surgery and regular repairs to it as well. It’s the loss of the sphincter that can never return. Walking long distances and power yoga have helped me more than kegels to strengthen pelvic floor. Lots of money involved in urology and RP. On the positive side, still no rise in PSA.

@DanCarr I am 19 months from my prostate removal surgery. I was never fully convinced of the effectiveness of kegels, but I did them every day up to about 5 months ago when I stopped completely. Today I am almost fully continent, with slight leakage from stress incontinence. Kegels may work for many, but apparently not for everyone. I walk a lot and I do light weight training and weight resistance exercises, as well as stretches. Perhaps they have been more helpful than kegels in my case. It may be none of that, and just a matter of giving yourself time to heal.

Kegels do little to help the incontinence caused by my RP 20 years ago.

Instead of using expensive diapers that allow my entire bottom to become saturated with urine, I use tissue and paper towels covered up with a small plastic bag held in place with small rubber bands. I can usually go about 6 hours during the night since I'm inactive and in a horizontal position. During the day I change the tissue and paper towels about every 2 hours...more frequently if I'm in the gym. I can normally go out to eat without having to use a restroom. Private restrooms in Thailand have kitchen-type sprayers attached to the toilet supply valve. After living in Thailand I could never regress to using toilets without the sprayers! Even many public restrooms here have the sprayers.
14245eb15abb64746586f8b908b8c0a6.png

Dan...,
A story I've told before that you have probably missed: In my case, like you, I'm a reliable leaker; I've solved my issue, not with any device that is presently on the market, but with a soft silicone external device that my engineer partner and I have developed over the last five years; now patent-pending (see pic in my profile). For our final field trials, we are seeking two more volunteers to round out our test group. I would be happy to include you and forward a prototype for you to try. I often wear mine up to 22 hours a day, particularly if I have hydrated in the evening. Because it is of flexible material, it is to be used with a backup liner for the
occasional moments of stress leakage. Let me know if you would like more info. Looking forward to hearing from you. Best wishes, Fynlee Send to: amhelp@comcast.net

bold text
Fynlee...., read your story of soft silicone external device. Do you have more information, pictures, etc? I don't want to waste your resources. Is your product a version of a pull-up with a pad....or a version of a glue-in pad? Thank you. Dan Carr

@Fynlee I see your invitations to test your new device often. I have gone to your profile to get more info and see one picture with direction to "Click image to view slideshow". However when I click on the image nothing happens and the one image provides no information on how your prototype device works.