Progress and journey do the present

Archives1

Staff member
Over nine months ago I underwent radical prostatectomy with no complications. Due to positive three lymph nodes and a seminal vesicles involvement i had a Lupron injection and 38 external beam radiation treatments. The PSA has been consistently undetectable and I feel good and optimistic. The last visit to my oncologist was a positive one. They stated that I do not need any more Lupron which was welcome decision. Lipton has pronounced side effects that include hot flashes weight gain a potential for metabolic syndrome and possibly anemia and negative cardiac side effects. The radiation treatments were a non event. However I continue to be incontinent with an average of four pads a day. A recent visit to the surgeon revealed with cystoscopy that there is complete healing of the bladder and that the connection of the bladder to the urethra was normal with no issues. I have been doing kegels faithfully and have seen a physical therapist periodically. While it is disappointing to have the incontinence I am grateful for the healing and the positive results of the surgery and radiation. I am in my early 80s and that may explain the persistence of incontinence. Hope this progress note is helpful to those who have been on this journey

Many here know from experience how frustrating the incontinence is. Are you at least seeing some improvement? For me, I didn’t start having dry days until the 11th month. Please don’t assume you've progressed as far as you will. Prayers sent.

For Chuck11 to state, "I didn’t start having dry days until the 11th month." gives me hope. I had Green Laser Light Surgery on March 4. 65% of my prostate was removed. I am still incontinent which is frustrating, but no UTIs to date, which had been an issue prior to surgery. 11 months? I'll continue to be patient.

marcel said:
Over nine months ago I underwent radical prostatectomy with no complications. Due to positive three lymph nodes and a seminal vesicles involvement i had a Lupron injection and 38 external beam radiation treatments. The PSA has been consistently undetectable and I feel good and optimistic. The last visit to my oncologist was a positive one. They stated that I do not need any more Lupron which was welcome decision. Lipton has pronounced side effects that include hot flashes weight gain a potential for metabolic syndrome and possibly anemia and negative cardiac side effects. The radiation treatments were a non event. However I continue to be incontinent with an average of four pads a day. A recent visit to the surgeon revealed with cystoscopy that there is complete healing of the bladder and that the connection of the bladder to the urethra was normal with no issues. I have been doing kegels faithfully and have seen a physical therapist periodically. While it is disappointing to have the incontinence I am grateful for the healing and the positive results of the surgery and radiation. I am in my early 80s and that may explain the persistence of incontinence. Hope this progress note is helpful to those who have been on this journey

Have you considered an AUS? Dont know the state of your health or how much the leaking bothers you but given your age it could be a permanent solution.

Thanks for the post guys, It has given me hope, 9 months post radical prostrate removed, waiting to dry up a little to do radiation. Thanks again!!

Marcel - feel good about where you are. After radical prostatectomy, Lupron, and 38 radiation treatments you are doing well!
The incontinence is frustrating but at 9 months you are still relatively early in your journey. You can still expect to see improvement over time.
Keep up the kegels and stay positive!