Product/feature you are currently missing

Hi @wml1963 Before Covid I also checked out the thrift stores and flea markets, sales, etc., for old books that interested me. But I have had very limited experience with catheters and they are not my first choice, although for a lot of people they will do just fine. That's good, but for me, I'm shying away from then, I've had Foley caths a couple of times after surgery and was never so happy to get rid of them. And for a laparoscopic hernia procedure they had cathed me while I was under and must have taken it out before I woke up. But couldn't "go" until I got straight cathed that evening. Definitely not a bucket list item! :) So I'm pretty much saying no to catheters!
And @Padded53 I haven't tried a condom catheter but since I move around a lot I have my doubts as to whether it would stay in place like it should. My big fear would be leakage. I have seen the other thing you described which is worn with a harness and has a tube going to a leg bag. I also get the impression it is best used when you're up and about and that it isn't sealed to the body.

padded53 Thanks! I did not know either of those things existed. I thought this was going to be an exersise of futility, but you never know. With the right sealant and process for keeping it clean maybe something might come of it.

billliveshere said:
Hi @PLA4, I couldn't help but notice your post. In my experience the best way to get a pull up that doesn't leak around the leg openings is to get one that fits. If someone has more slender legs and thighs a pull up with a larger leg opening will be leaky! So the operating word here is "fit!" The better the fit the less likely the leaks! So everyone, measure around you waist, your hips and possibly around the tops of your legs at the groin to determine the best fit. And in selecting a pack of pull-ups, go by whichever measurement is the larger, i.e., whether the measurement around your waist or around your hips is the larger of the two.
That's just if you go to the store for your products. For more specific help call your online supplier and speak to a rep and they will advise what size is best for you, depending on your measurements. Still uncertain? Ask the company to send you samples of the various sizes that you think may work for you and by doing that you can pick the best choice!

Thank You... I have tried a lot of different sizes and different manufacturers threw samples as well trial and error... Abena L3 seems to work the best for me so far. When I am having multiple incontinence events prior to being able to change is when I experience the leaking around the legs. Have decided that when I am experiencing more flow and multiple events I just wear a tape up brief now. It's all good... Just part of life's journey!

Since they took out most if not all of my prostate along with a section of my urethra, which they stretched and sewed it into the bottom of my bladder, what exactly was in the prostate that interpreted the signal that the bladder was full, (when it was) and told ME to let it go? What grows back or gets stronger over time for the lucky ones of us who regain our continence? I am doing those kegels every day, and I know the trauma is a big one to overcome but if the pelvic floor muscles are it, at least I will know which direction to go! It seems like I can retain a lot of fluid in my bladder while sleeping or not moving around, but nothing tells me it is loaded and ready to fire until I rise up from a chair or get up out of bed. I cant get to a bathroom fast enough to when that happens (at least not yet)

wml1963 -- It sounds like you had one heck of a surgery. I sure hope you recover soon and you will if you keep doing what your doctors tell you. It just seems like it's a long journey with all your concentration centered on all the stuff going on. I hope you have a strong support group too. That helps the healing process.

I couldn't help but compare your surgery to the surgery for transgender folks. You can see it on the internet and there are very few competent surgeons to do the operation plus there are long waiting lists which makes the anxiety stretch out. It's really quite wonderful what the medical people are capable of doing to make our lives better, isn't it? And I sincerely hope your life is better soon.