Preventing Leaks

Archives1

Staff member
Hello everyone, last week while I was moving I had my protection leak after a bladder accident. I currently use Northshore MegaMax's because when I do have accidents they tend to be quite large and also because of my work situation, I'm often not able to change immediately so prefer to be safe than sorry in terms of protections. My issue is that this is the 2nd or 3rd time I've had a MegaMax leak and I've had similar issues with other products as well. In this case as well as other times it has happened, the brief has had a lot of absorbency left and wasn't at a point where I was at all worried about a leak. I got the urge to go got up to use the restroom and before I could make it my bladder decided to empty and once it starts to empty I struggle to stop it. It leaked from under my leg and it seemed like the issue was either the fit around my leg which to me seems like it isn't too bad or that it didn't absorb quickly enough as I went. I've tried booster pads but they also haven't prevented leaks like this from happening. I was wondering if anyone had any advice to prevent this from happening going forward. I worry that this will happen while I'm at work or in class in a situation where I can't immediately change my underwear.

Hi @greengold, The first thing I thought of when I began reading your post was booster pads. But reading on further it seems that they aren't quite doing the trick. I know there are times when you start to go and it just doesn't stop. That has happened to me on occasion and I just hope for the best! :O So far no major disasters though. Usually happens in cooler weather. You might want to revisit how they fit around your leg, even if that doesn't seem so obvious. Leg fit is very important in preventing leaks. Just for fun measure around where your leg joins your groin and see if there's any change. Barring that, I might see if there's an upgrade to the MegaMax available. I know you probably do want to stick with NorthShore as they have quality products and responsive customer service. They may be able to offer something a step up from what you're using. And while you talk to NorthShore do say something about the fit around your leg. They have hear it plenty of times before. Or something else to think about are diaper covers. As I recall NorthShore has PUL pants available and they are supposed to be much more comfortable to wear than vinyl pants and supposedly not too noticeable. The PUL pants and MegaMax combo may get you through to the next break in your work or classroom situations. I wouldn't really go for cutting back on fluids as your body needs water, etc. to keep it functioning. The way to go would be to enhance your protection.
I hope this helps and there may be other good suggestions coming your way here from others. If that doesn't seem to fill the bill everyone will try to think of other things to try.

Thanks for the advice, I'm not sure if it is an issue with the product because I've had similar issues with pretty much any other product. I'll defnitely reach out to Northshore but as far as I'm aware the MegaMax is their highest absorbency product so not sure how much room for improvement their is on that note. I do use PUL pants and they do help, the issue is that they don't breathe well and the combination of a plastic backed brief and PUL pants with hot humid weather is quite uncomfortable in terms of sweat. I guess as always it is a compromise but I just wish I could find something that is comfortable (at least as much as incontinence products can be "comfortable") while being able to stand up to anything my incontinence can throw at it

I know precisely what you mean @greengold4! I had not realized that the MegaMax is plastic-backed and of course wearing something plastic-y like vinyl or PUL on top of a plastic-backed brief is a recipe for very hot stuff indeed! And especially in the summer - a real no-brainer! Since I wear the pull-ons they are not plastic but fabric-backed. And living in Florida that is really mandatory. I like Prevail and a newer product called Alyne. Now whether or not you switch to something like as absorbent as MegaMax but is fabric-backed and use PUL pants if that would help the leakage maybe the folks at NorthShore can tell you. Another point just occurred to me. Is the MegaMax billed as an overnight brief or daytime? I've seen NorthShore's advertising but don't recall the specifics. If it is daytime then the best bet would probably be an overnight brief worn in the daytime. I know it seems to be a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" type of situation and you just may need to do a trade-off of some kind. Do reach out to NorthShore and maybe they can come up with something good! Please let us know how you make out!:)

The MegaMax is an overnight brief/all-day brief and is advertised as providing 12+ hours of protection and honestly is the best brief I've found so far in terms of the combination of heavy duty enough to deal with multiple voids if I can't change while also being fairly quiet and also preventing odors. My only issue with it has been the occasional leak out the bottom of the legs when I have a flood which I think is it not absorbing quickly enough, it typically isn't an issue of the brief not being able to absorb more as much as it is overflowing the leg gathers before it can be absorbed. I still do se pull ons sometimes but in general for a very heavy void they tend to run into problems. I typically use overnight level briefs during the daytime since when my bladder is acting up my leakage is quite heavy.

Greengold:
Two Words...Fit Check!
Once you tape up reach waaaay down under and make absolutely sure that the elastic leg gathers and the leak guards are firmly against where your legs meet your body. I do this every time I change a diaper and you will be surprised where you will find where they are resting when you first put on your diaper.

Hi Greengold, It sounds like the leak guards need to be splayed outward to provide a smoother-fitting seal where the legs meet your body (groin). I think that would also be more comfortable because if the leak guards face inward you would feel the edges in your crotch and it wouldn't be too comfortable. See if that works. When you try that method you then may want to try a booster pad and place it closer to the edge on the side where you are most likely to leak. Do you leak on one side versus the other? (for me it would be on the left side.) We are all "dressed" to one side or the other. If so then put the booster pad on that side. Otherwise do contact NorthShore. They have heard it all before! ;) If this works, then we've got it! If not, then contact us again! It is all a mater of fit.

I’ve had the same issues at the legs on a number of diapers including the Mega Max. As I’ve mentioned before my thighs are still a bit large from years of mountain biking & hiking. Kins has an excellent fix, their taffeta waterproof pants are the lightest, most comfortable I’ve ever used in the last 25 years. I have very big voids as well and I think these give the absorbent materials an extra moment to catch up, and due to the fabric cuts down on discomfort between the legs etc. especially in this swampy hot summer heat in North Carolina. So muggy I’m averaging 3 t-shirts a day!
Best of luck!

So describe how to put a diaper on using only words...tough. I wear tape on diapers only at night and am not a restless sleeper. in light of that I am not sure if this will help or not. A lot more movement in the daytime. Maybe this is diaper wearing basics but I will break down my step by step process maybe it will help you or others? This process works well for me.
When I unfold a new diaper i pull on both ends to be sure the leak guards "stand up". There are times an area will stay down (glue?). next I apply my diapers standing up,(not sure how this would work laying down) so I pass it through my legs front to back, and I make sure I am pointed down. I bring the diaper through until the curves align with my groin (where my legs end) (basically I try to get the top of the curve of the leg opening as close as I can to the area where my legs meet my body if that makes sense?) I should note I "squat down" slightly to spread my legs open. Once I am aligned I pinch my legs shut to hold the diaper in place. I then pull out towards the sides on both rear tabs and both front tabs(not the tape tabs the sides of the diaper). I then find for me if I take a hold of the rear panels on each side toward the bottom, pull out and down to make sure they are below my "cheeks" (the area where my butt cheeks start and my legs end) I start on my left but I really dont think that matters. I pull the front panel over laying it on my side and pull the rear tab forward applying the tape. repeat the same step on the right side. I will note I like my diaper tight. After all this I "squat down" slightly again to spread my legs a little and run my hands down both sides of the diaper making sure the legs " elastic" of the diaper is out and in the crack between my body and leg joint on both sides. Again for me paying particular attention to how the diaper is sealed to my cheeks.(that's where I seem to get my leaks)
Never timed this with a stop watch (its not a nascar pit stop (well i guess it is a pit stop of sorts isn't it?)) but I would guess from off the shelf, powdered and on maybe 5 minutes if that long?

Yes, @Tim, I guess it is a "pit stop" of sorts! I think your explanation was very clear, considering all the steps that need to be taken. Although at this stage I use just the pull-ups it's still good to know how to put on a tape-type diaper, because one just never knows. But sometime if you absolutely have nothing better to do, then by all means time it with a stop watch! Be interesting to see what the results are!!:D

Hi @greengold4 as a bedwetter who really does not wear protection other then when not sleeping at home I know my advice is not the most sound in real life experience. But from what others have said it might be a fit issue around the legs. When I was younger and smaller in size I wore Goodnites for my bedwetting when not sleeping at home or at home for when I knew dealing with a potential wet bed would be an issue. They were great ... until they started leaking (I was in my 20's before they did). From what I could tell it was around the leg area where they leaked for me. My boxers and shorts would be wet in the leg area and not top or sides. so leak was defiantly coming from the leg area.

I also think, as you have suggested, the sudden release of urine could be an issue. The protection cannot absorb it as fast as you are peeing it out. Might be a combo of the two.

Not sure the solution but I bet others here have dealt with it and have good advice.