Preventing leaks while actively exercising

Archives1

Staff member
After undergoing a Lap Radical Protestectomy in October, I started to develop chest pains shortly after returning to trying to regular exercise. Long story short, it was ultimately found that I had a 100% blocked coronary artery, which is now fully functioning thanks to a stent. I am now on Plavix for at least 6 months. I need a second procedure to enlarge the opening at the end of the penis that will help with my urinary drippiness, but cannot undergo that procedure until I am off of Plavix which will be 6 months to a year.

I start Cardiac Rehab this week. I am still incontinent from my Prostate surgery. I am generally OK with stretching and light exercise, but get the occasional small leak outside of the diaper. I am concerned about what is going to happen as I get more active. I hope to be back on the pickleball court by Spring.

I ordered the McKesson diapers as I read reviews on Amazon saying they work well with movement and will give them a shot at my first rehab session tomorrow. Wondering about products like GaryWear or similar that go over the diaper for added protection? Other products that people have tried to get back to sports activities?

Please let me know what has worked for you as you got back to sports activities.

Garywear plastic pants are a lifesaver when it comes to leaks.

I would strongly suggest buying a few of them to prevent leaks/gushes/spasms.

In regards to a specific diaper, depending on the day/exercising, I will use a combination of Tranquility pull ups with/without a booster/pad, plus the garywear helps with exercise activities. Very light weight and not noticeable. Plus if you have a leak you can take out the pad/booster and still have the pull up/Garywear.

Other days Abena M4's/Rearz are more for heavy days and or not exercising.

Hope that helps.

I'm not able to be that active due to my physical disability and chronic fatigue but I'd definitely recommend going for something cloth backed. I exclusively use plastic backed products due to the added protection but doing anything remotely physical in them causes skin issues. Whilst the level of protection isn't as great with cloth backed products I think it's a trade-off with being kinder on the skin.

Thanks for the responses. I tried the McKesson's for some light Yoga and they barely made it through floor part of my routine. So much for them.

Wetdad - I have had the same experience with Tena, but I did not use the Ultras, so that may make a difference.

Mroelker - On the Tranquility products I found a night time product that appears to be very popular and a day time product. They are priced about the same. Which do you use? Is Northshore the best place to get Garywear price wise?

Thanks to all for the feedback.

@GaDawg I have used both before.

One is a brief and one is a pull up, both work fine. Think 1-2 voids for the pullup, 2-2.5-3 for the brief. I get it they both hold the same, but my experience is the brief holds more.

The one I was describing was the maximum absorbency pull up

This one is the brief

I love Northshore and I have gotten Garywear from the there, as well as, Amazon. Both worked fine. I couldn't tell a difference on quality.

Also, if you are nervous about people seeing, didn't seem like you were so just adding in two cents, wear some boxer briefs overtop of the pullup and Garywear plastic pants.

Worst case scenario they absorb any extra leaks and its not noticeable on pants/shorts, and you change when you get home.

so, i mainly use the Northshore Supreme Lite diaper when hiking, yoga, and anything physical. you may be able to get away with the Northshore pull up. they work really well as well. and on heavier days i use the Unique Wellness diaper. they're pretty discreet and hold a lot. i rarely get leaks with the UW.

I'm just over 4months from my surgery. I use TENNA pads ultra. They stay in place very well. I do light to moderate lifting, and Spin class and rower. Still have some leaking but the exercise is helpful.

I usually only have to wear a light pad for drips and dribbles, but if I have a UTI or a lot of overactivity going on, I leak pretty heavily. When this happens, I make sure to empty my bladder before exercise, then put on a moderately absorbent breathable tabbed brief with underwear over the top. The combination of the supportive underwear and strong tabs of the brief prevent leaks out of the legs of the brief while exercising (usually around 1.5 hrs), and wearing underwear over the top stops me from stressing out that people will clock me when my t-shirt inevitably rises up.

I wear snug boxer brief underwear over my disposable brief and never have any real issues with leaks when I went through physical therapy/working out. Just make sure as a guy your penis is pointing down and you're wearing the correct level of absorbency and you should be fine.

Update: I have been to my Cardiac Rehab program twice so far. Basically the starting exercises are peddling a a high tech bike and what I would call a sitting elliptical machine.

I have left the house with a Depends Night Diaper, which have works well for me at night, and a pad. When I get to Rehab I remove the pad and void in the men's room. Today I adopted Rowan's suggestion and wore compression underwear over the Depends. This worked really well so far.

Cardiac Rehab is not the same as moving around on a pickleball court, but at least I feel comfortable so far and have not had any issues.

I had a case of Tranquility diapers arrive today. Will give them a try Monday.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will let you know what I learn as I move on to more aggressive forms of working out. I don't know where else one could go to have such a frank conversation about all of this. I am so thankful I found this forum.