Post-PSA Results

Archives1

Staff member
Hello All:
I am a 74 year old male who had my prostate removed Mar 29th. I received the results of my PSA test today. It was <0.01.
I see my prostate surgeon on June 22 to discuss the results of the PSA test. However I assume the test results are good news???
Nick

Thanks larryw61. However, not sure what you mean by “if it stays that way?”
If the prostate is gone and there is no sign of cancer are you theorizing the cancer could come back?

My PSA was <0.01 for a year and a half. My last PSA was 0.01.
Am being told this is cause for concern. Anyone have similar experiences? I am 71 years old, had very successful nerve sparing robotic surgery.

Good news. But yes it can change over time. That is why the frequent checks for a few years following surgery. Best wishes that it stays low. I am due for my fourth test next month. All have been good so far.

My Urologist will be testing me for 5 years post-surgery. First year every 3 months. Second year every 4 months. Third year I think it goes to every 6 months...as long as the result is undetectable. I don't remember if it stays at 6 month intervals until year five. If you make 5 years undetectable you are saved, I guess. I had surgery Aug 2019 so I have a few years of testing yet. All my results are undetectable, so far.

Congrats on the low number palarino1 9 month blood test yesterday and same undetectable numbers. Do those Kegels. The surgeon asked me about leaks. I take prosta Genix 3 times a day and I have never had a problem. When I do have to go, I need to go. Can't hold it like I used to, but if I pay attention to the warnings, I am OK. Lots better than at 3 months now, so give your body a break and be patient. What kind of engineer puts a hazardous waste line thru a recreational area?

Palarino: Cancer can come back. The danger of Prostate is if it spread, undetectably, because some few cells got away before the prostate was removed. It can cause the PSA number to rise, even though it is not inthe prostate. They don't change their nature, so the PSA can reveal if they are there and growing.
I had mine in 2003 and the PSA test is still part of my annual physical. Still >0.01. Who knows if it was the surgery or the chemo, but it worked. Rah Rah PSA.
I get the PSA, but I pay more attention to my A1C, these days. But I got to be an old fart. Maybe I'll get to be an older fart, and then an oldest fart. 🍺