Pelvic floor disorders

Archives1

Staff member
Hi all,

I am working with a PT therapist for increasingly worse incontinence issues. So far, we are concluding it is in part worsening hypertonic pelvic floor muscles that is contributing to bladder volume insensitivity, discomfort, and a big rise in leakage. So, kind of want to get a sense from others that have gone (going) through, as it has got me concerned and down. Like, when does it get better? Does the discomfort and aches go away? What worked?

Granted my pelvic floor condition is something that likely built up over many decades, and I would assume it will take many months of work to see some improvements. I just want to catch a break or any success for once in this.

FWIW, I searched but did not see any posts on the subject.

theMochi -- Took Pelvic Floor P.T. twice but didn't get much out of it. Took it from Burger P.T. in Davis, CA and East Sacramento P.T. in Sacramento, CA. It is painful to do Kegels for me. Was given other exercises to do but they are also painful. Don't know what to do. Have 2nd Urodynamics & Cystoscopy coming up soon. Then appointment with my Urogynecologist. Can tell her then about the pain. See what she says. Maybe go to Sutter Davis Physical Therapy to give it one more shot. Have a pelvic wand but can't find all of the pieces I got with it. Can't find the "moisturizer" that came with it. I don't know whether or not that will relieve any of the pelvic pain.

Thanks for replying. I am optimistic in what I have read so far, in that PT over time will add improvement. Pelvic floor PT uses many techniques for different symptoms and I am trying to understand ones I want to try that match up with hypertonic dx.

I would encourage you to continue with PT looking at as many options as possible.

@snow, I tend to agree, I am looking for some improvement, and skills that I can use to relax my pelvic floor. A win would be learning to reduce the bladder pain and regain some normal sensitivity. Discovering a miraculous cure to what is behind my incontinence is sadly not realistic.

Edit: I am surprised that PT is not discussed more frequently.