Peeing more at night, Post op

Archives1

Staff member
Hello all. Had prostectomy in October. Everything has been progressing as expected since then. My problem is over the last month i have to get up during the night to urinate now 3-4x. Pre surgery was only 1x a night. I'm not having accidents. And it seems like a full bladder amount. Just don't seem to have the impulse control.

Sounds like your bladders trying to get rid of anesthesia? maybe drink more water in day until 5pm pee more in day,?
I read men need 8 to 10 lasses f water women 6'to 8 but 80 percent of men don't drink enough water 💦

Do you happen to raise your legs at all while sleeping? I went through a similar type voiding schedule change after my first ACL repair surgery. We found by elevating my legs at night it tilted me just enough to flood all the blood into my upper body, then my kidneys would work all night to get the extra water out, hence a constantly purging bladder and up all night from spasms from the IC. It used to politely wait until I stood in the morning then drain everything on the way to the bathroom!
Any change in meds? Even aspirin can throw things off?

Depends on how long your inflamed prostate sat on your bladder. It takes time for the bladder to regain its elasticity. It should be healing, albeit slowly. Like Maymay 941 suggested, try adjusting your fluid consumption schedule.

Sprung87 said:
Do you happen to raise your legs at all while sleeping? I went through a similar type voiding schedule change after my first ACL repair surgery. We found by elevating my legs at night it tilted me just enough to flood all the blood into my upper body, then my kidneys would work all night to get the extra water out, hence a constantly purging bladder and up all night from spasms from the IC. It used to politely wait until I stood in the morning then drain everything on the way to the bathroom!
Any change in meds? Even aspirin can throw things off?

@PatRnFl It generally takes a long time for the bladder to heal after prostatectomy. I also get up 3 or 4 times each night. My surgery was last November. Using a hospital urinal, I check the volume occasionally. Right now I typically evacuate 200 mL or less. Normal is 300 - 400 mL. I am trying to rehabilitate the bladder by holding more volume during the day. It seems to be slowly improving but I am not recording it. I should do that so that I can measure progress. Once my bladder can comfortably hold 400 mL, I suspect I will be able to sleep thru the night and get a proper sleep.