Pads, Guards or diapers

Archives1

Staff member
I’m new to this so I mainly wear Tena’s moderate guard and replace it every three hours. I leak a constant slow drip or stream so I don’t need to handle a lot of liquid at once. I do notice if I sit for a while it sometimes feels damp on my thighs but if I check neither the pad, my clothing or my skin have any dampness to them that I can feel. Any thoughts on how best to manage slow steady leaking especially at work?

you should go with the protection that works best for you if you can get away with pads thats great I can't I require heavier protection even pull-ups are inadequate for me I have to use diapers 24/7 if I don't want to be cleaning up constant messes as far as what protection is best for you there is no right answer it is a personal decision and can take trial ad error to find what is best for your needs

I am a long time user of pull-ups and boster pads. The booster pads often do not have odor control, forcing me to spray them with a urine deoderant. Another problem I encountered was their adhesive strip was too agressive. When I wanted to replace the loaded booster with another, the adhesive strip was overly agressive and often would tear the delicate membrane of the pull up.

A month or two ago I came across Walgreen's Cerinty. They are not a booster pad, persay, but an extremely absorbant pad with a mild adhesive strip that will grip cotton underwear or pull up diapers. They have built in odor control and are packaged with individual wrappers making it ideal to can a spare in your pocket. They do not transfer urine to the diaper, but contain it within itself. Excess passes around it to the diaper. They sell 52 for the low teen $ and Walgreen's has a long running promotion, buy a second one at 50% off.

I am a consultant product design engineer and not a shill for Walgreen's. I simply want to pass this on to fellow sufferers as it greatly improved my live and expenses.

I use a combination of diapers and pull ups.I can sometimes use the pull up during the day with good luck.

Hard to say as everyone has different 1)body types and shapes, 2)leakage volumes, 3)comfort tolerances, 4)lifestyles and mobility, etc.

I can only speak for myself- average middle age guy body type, bit of a belly, at this point constant slow leakage with surges here and there (like stress incontinence) that probably averages a cup or so an hour, more or less depending on hydration and activity.

I work full time, have a social life and don't want to / can't stop any of that stuff.

I can do pads for a short time but they tend to fill up pretty fast so usually I don't. Also hitting dead center of the pad is sometimes problematic. Plus I don't really have any regular underwear left to use them with.

Pullups are great, and my main thing. I have the luxury of one person bathrooms at work which helps. Easy to take off shoes and pants. I like McKesson ultra and ... strangely, Always discreet underwear for women. I am make but these work amazing and are pretty cheap. It is really embarrassing though at home.

At night I can get away mostly with north shore supreme lite briefs which are plastic backed. i like the blue ones, no one but me can tell if they are wet or dry. I like that. When I need positive security, these are what I wear. I have a subscription. Bed stays dry 90% of the time unless I sleep in until 10AM :)

I tried washable things but am just too busy to do that much laundry and always end up with horrible ammonia smells so pretty much gave up on those. Not sure they save much in terms of water and electricity useage anyway. Plus not as comfortable when wet.

I am always experimenting to see what works. My ideal pull up type product (for men) is something like depends real Fit, with twice the padding up front, and leak guards, as well as considerably softer fabric.

Good luck in the hunt!

Thanks for all the feed back. I would like to add another cost saving hint. I buy my Depend Maximum protection for Men, pull ups at Cosco. Their package of 84 is far cheaper than anything I have found on line. And that product works very well for me.

I have an almost constant, unconcious leakage. The combination of the very inexpensive, Walgreen's Certainty Guards lightly adhered to them and quickly replaced once or twice during day, keeps me dry and confident. At the end on the day the Depend pull up is damp but not saturated at the perimeter of Certainty pad. I dispose of both in a knotted plastic bag at night, go to bed with a fresh pair which fortunately are almost dry when I awake and I do not have to replace the Guard until after lunch.

Hope this is useful for anyone with a similar problem.

Me again. Rereading some of the comments made me realize I failed to point out the most important benefit of the combination I have discovered.

When I used booster pads inside my pull ups, often when I tried to peal off a saturated one to replace it, its agressive adhesive would tear the delicate film of the pull up and the absorbant fluff would leak out on the floor as I walked. The Walgreen's Guards have a gentle adhesive and have individual wrappers. In 30 to 40 seconds in a golf course porta potty or a restraurant wash room, I can peal off a saturated Guard, put it in the wrapper of the new one I pat down in it's place, throw it in the waste receptacle, wash my hands and I am good to go.

I am also a man who likes Always Discreet for Women. They are not as bulky as many male pull-ups. So I don’t feel like I have to wear loose trousers. They are also rather soft - not the paper towel-like feel of others.

BTW I am not referring to the “Boutique” version however. I tried them. They seem softer. But they also feel too tight for my liking.

DPCARE said:
you should go with the protection that works best for you if you can get away with pads thats great I can't I require heavier protection even pull-ups are inadequate for me I have to use diapers 24/7 if I don't want to be cleaning up constant messes as far as what protection is best for you there is no right answer it is a personal decision and can take trial ad error to find what is best for your needs

@Rupertino As a bedwetter only I cannot comment on daytime protection situations, however I do agree with @DPCARE in that you need to find what works best for your and your situation. When sleeping aways from home I wear depends real fits. Thankfully 95% of the time they are never needed, but the few times where I do wet in them during the night they have worked find for me (I am not a heavy bedwetter). However I have talked with other bedwetters who said a pull-up type protection would never do, they'd and the bed would be wet in the morning if they did. So find what works for you and you are comfortable with.

I have found that it’s much better to have more protection than I need than to need more protection than I have. Hence, I wear a tape-on diaper 24/7 even though on many days I could get by with a pull-up during the day. Another rarely discussed advantage of wearing a tape-on diaper is that it’s possible to change a tape-on diaper without needing to take of your trousers, which makes things much easier when I need to change in a public washroom stall.

some very good points I highly agree

Inconinmiss said:
I have found that it’s much better to have more protection than I need than to need more protection than I have. Hence, I wear a tape-on diaper 24/7 even though on many days I could get by with a pull-up during the day. Another rarely discussed advantage of wearing a tape-on diaper is that it’s possible to change a tape-on diaper without needing to take of your trousers, which makes things much easier when I need to change in a public washroom stall.