Pads and Diapers

Archives1

Staff member
Hello,
This is a great group and everyone is so helpful. I will have surgery very soon and anticipate the need for pads and diapers. I only know about Depends brand. Are there any other brands out there which may be better? Also, is there a discount website or store other than Costco where I should be shopping for supplies?

Amazon is good and you can also order from Northlands.
There are several brands…. Depends, Tena and Northshore.
You need to try a few and see which you prefer.
I found Tena thin pads good for when I need thin pads and the Northshore when I need the thicker pads or the incontinence underwear.
But I have used a lot of depends since they were the most well known brand but I just wish the pad inside the underwear went higher by an inch or 2… which is why I prefer the Northshore ones. Northshore will also send you free samples …. You just have to pay for the shipping! https://www.northshorecare.com/
Good luck

There's lots of diaper advice and personal favorites.
I think Depends brand is the poorest doesn't hold.not worth the money.

Recently I tried Essentials 360 and found them to be well designed leg cuff to prevent leaks with a well placed absorbent padding in center.
You can Google essential 360 for the brand to order.had good phone service to order. I ordered a subscription for 50 pieces free shipping for $60. I quit for awhile and they were quite ok to stop subscription after a phone call. You can place subscription monthly or do every two or three months if you don't need that amount monthly. They run small so size up.
These are pull ups and the best absorbent.
quality with least bulk I've found

I if you want to be able to wear a diaper I recommend Northshore mega max and the incontol be dry diapers. The are 3 different ones in the be dry line, be dry, be dry elite and be dry night. I personally have used all three and are good diapers. Also do you have a preference of plastic backed or cloth. I personally feel more confident wearing plastic backed diapers I uploading a picture of a Northshore mega max on the left and a be dry incontol on the right

Better dry diapers is another good brand too.
ef9db8f210a4bd5c13aea4d0773bbd76.jpg

@VAC55 I wasted a lot of money on washable briefs, but found them not very useful. Early on, needing to change several times per day, make them impractical. To try and stretch the usefulness of the depends I bunched up some soft paper towels and packed them in. Good luck with surgery. It’s a long journey. Stay positive.

Hello
I had my surgery 2+ years ago and I started out with depends perfect fit and got tiered of the pull ups and switched to the max pad with my own boxer briefs
They are pretty bulky. Got to where I wasn’t leaking as much and finally switched to Tena and have used ever since
Not so bulky feeling but very absorbent
Still have a whole box of Depends pull up and max pads if anyone would like to try them
I live in Arizona
I will post some pics
Regards, Mike
b53860d1583e5232b622ef456e00e88c.jpg
d70c3c4c9399a6a715ae379a07f419db.jpg
edea5dad84a61938f088c1c51947eafe.jpg

I am in the UK, so not much use on which stores would be best to use! Sorry. But, product wise, I have used the Tena products for over 35 years now to manage my IC following a spinal injury. I use the Tena Slip Maxi Active Fit, which is a plastic backed adult nappy, and have always found them extremely absorbent, reliable and discrete. I have tried otters over the years - Attends, Depends, Lille, Molicare, ID Slip - but always revert back to Tena Slip. I am also extremely fortunate to get them supplied FOC though our NHS Continence Service.

The first few weeks are going to be tough after the catheter is removed. Start your pelvic floor exercises before your surgery and keep going with them afterwards. You’ll get through lots of thick pads initially but very slowly it should start to improve. I use the Tena pads. I’m now 12 weeks post op and use one lightweight pad a day and I’m dry at night. It’s common to be dry at night fairly early on but still soaking several pads a day. Don’t get despondent and keep going with the pelvic floor exercises.

Thank you to everyone. I have ordered trial packs from Northshore and will get Tena products as well since a few have said the pads are thinner. I am doing pelvic floor excercise, walking, running, lifting weights, doing squats and praying my recover is quick. Please feel free to give me all the pointers you got. F this prostate cancer!!!

Understand that the huge majority of people who complain about Depends have never bothered trying their Night Defense line, which I find wholly adequate.

Keep in mind that Tena in the rest of the world is an epic diaper but Tena in the United States is the cheapest, crappiest, least-well-fitting, least-absorbent diaper around. They are completely different manufacturers.

I have tried just about everything on the market but what I find best is getting samples and finding what works best for you. Northsorecare has the best sample program out there and ships everything for free.

Link below.

As you can sense, what works for you might be different from the preferences of others. Experiment to find the right product.
Don't hesitate to cross the gender line. WalMart makes a very absorbent Equates Overnight Pads. They rate it at 6 drops out of 8. Cost for 120 pads is $0.26 each.

I can second the Depend Night Defense. They aren't bulky yet are very absorbent. I wish they made a Night Defense with Velcro sides for easier changing.

@VAC55 I’m not sure how old you are, but I have worn Goodnites for most of my life. They fit me fine, but they probably don’t fit most adults. The weight goes up to 140 pounds. They are very comfy!

Also north shore stuff when I’ve used it is very good! They are very expensive though.