Oxybutynin

Archives1

Staff member
My husband has total incontinence following prostate surgery. His doctor prescribed oxybutynin. Has anyone else had success or progress with this?

I'm 35, male with OAB which manifests mostly with bedwetting and daytime urgency with occasional daytime leaks. After Kegels didn't prove effective, oxybutynin was the first drug the doctor tried. I took it for maybe a week. The side effects were unbearable for me (crazy dry mouth and headaches). We tried Detrol and Toviaz after that. Same problem. Now on Myrbetriq. The side effects are much lower so far but I've only been on it about 5 days. We'll see how effective it is. I'm still wetting the bed every night and still having urgency during the day.

If this doesn't work, I'm taking a break from pills. I can live with wearing a diaper to bed, really and pull up style absorbent underwear during the day. I wake up dry and have no side effects.

Is your husband wearing diapers? I'm sorry to say but from what I've read (and I've read volumes) since my problems started, as many as 70% of people quit anticholinergic/antimuscarinic meds within a year because of side effects or unsatisfactory results. Many with incontinence end up relying on diapers. Don't get discouraged though. These drugs work wonders for some people. Sometimes a combo of drugs, kegels, behavioral stuff and absorbent products can get people back to a quite normal life.

If he's really averse to wearing a diaper long term, he could try condom catheters. Last resort could also be surgical urinary diversion where they re-route the urine out of the body through a stoma and into a collection bag. Personally, I'd rather wear a diaper than go under the knife but everyone's different.

Does he have access to a continence nurse or counselor?

So far, I've been lucky with no side effects from Oxybutynin.
Most of my meds cause dizziness, so that's no big deal. Same with blurred vision, so I use eye drops.
Does Oxybutynin have a sleep aid?

I take oxybutnin they help a bit but still have to wear. Dippers. I tried them condom. Catheters I hated them full stop

I have got on it as my urologist is trying it for my bladder pain from spasms, and when I have a Foley catheter. It does force the bladder to settle down. Yes I'm noticing the side effects, but I have also tried Vesicare, and also on Myobetriq in which he calls dual therapy. Yes it drives me in to almost full retention, and yes I have had botox too.

It might help him

I have severe urge urinary incontinence. My urologist has tried me on several drugs that are supposed to help it, including oxybutynin. The only one that did not side effects that were worse than the incontinence was the oxybutynin skin patch. However, none of the drugs reduced my incontinence enough to be worth the money.

Here are a couple of things to keep in mind:

1. Incontinence is very common after prostate surgery, but most men get better as time goes on. From what I've read, a large majority recover enough that they do not need to wear any kind of absorbent product by a year after the surgery.

2. The people who are active on this and other incontinence forums are people for whom various kinds of treatment have not worked. Our experiences have been amongst the worst possible scenarios. So don't be discouraged. The odds of you husband's recovering are good.

I agree with incon, as I have severe urge incontinence, urinary retention, neurogenic bladder, so yes I have no set path, but just long term issues.

But, I have had friends and just recently that had their prostate removed, and yes they were also urinary incontinent, fully. But in some months they did regain a lot of their control and basically are not bringing it up as they said its pretty good now.

So tell him to hang in there.

MikeJames said:
I'm 35, male with OAB which manifests mostly with bedwetting and daytime urgency with occasional daytime leaks. After Kegels didn't prove effective, oxybutynin was the first drug the doctor tried. I took it for maybe a week. The side effects were unbearable for me (crazy dry mouth and headaches). We tried Detrol and Toviaz after that. Same problem. Now on Myrbetriq. The side effects are much lower so far but I've only been on it about 5 days. We'll see how effective it is. I'm still wetting the bed every night and still having urgency during the day.

If this doesn't work, I'm taking a break from pills. I can live with wearing a diaper to bed, really and pull up style absorbent underwear during the day. I wake up dry and have no side effects.

Is your husband wearing diapers? I'm sorry to say but from what I've read (and I've read volumes) since my problems started, as many as 70% of people quit anticholinergic/antimuscarinic meds within a year because of side effects or unsatisfactory results. Many with incontinence end up relying on diapers. Don't get discouraged though. These drugs work wonders for some people. Sometimes a combo of drugs, kegels, behavioral stuff and absorbent products can get people back to a quite normal life.

If he's really averse to wearing a diaper long term, he could try condom catheters. Last resort could also be surgical urinary diversion where they re-route the urine out of the body through a stoma and into a collection bag. Personally, I'd rather wear a diaper than go under the knife but everyone's different.

Does he have access to a continence nurse or counselor?

Hey Mike, I too tried multiple medications without success. I finally took the leap and let them put in the Intestim in. After it was put in, I kept wetting my pants but after a few weeks of adjustments I finally hit dry dock and have been there since. I actually was out and about the other day and started to feel the sensation of needing to go. With the events of the day I couldn't find or even have time to look for a men's restroom. The moral of the whole story is I had to hold it for almost 6 hours. By the time I got to a bathroom I had the feeling of fullness but no urges and didn't even come close to leaking. That full feeling as weird as this sounds was a very welcome feeling. It took me back to when I was younger again. I can finally get dressed after showering in the morning and take the same clothes off at night up to 16 hours later. They are dry and my tight whities are still WHITE! it may be worth looking into for yourself. I know it sounds ridiculous for a 50 year old man to get excited over having bladder control but I do kind of feel like I have been potty trained all over again. Give it some thought.
Doug