Overactive bladder

Archives1

Staff member
I have a prolapsed bladder and have been using a pessiary. Ithas worked pretty well but now i feel like i always have to go. I do the kegel exercises. The dr suggested i haveca hysterectomy. Im 84 years old so dont wantbto have surgery. I know other women who have done this and ended up incontinent. Ive tried a few meds but have terrible reactions. I dont know what else to do. Anyone else going through this?

I'm a guy so definitely not me! But if I were you I'd keep up with the kegel exercises or something similar that's non-invasive. I'd rather keep treatment as conservative as possible without heroic measures such as surgery. Surgery should only be done as a very last resort. If your doctor keeps insisting on surgery please do yourself a favor and get a second opinion. In fact that might not be a bad idea anyway! Or if you have a university or trusted medical center nearby you can contact their uro-gynecology department and possibly get a referral to see someone there. Good luck and please know there are other options out there.

Bill, I think you have offered very sensible advice. Ann Marie, you'd be wise to follow it. I'm "up there" in age, too, and if I could avoid surgery by trying more conservative measures first, I'd do that. It certainly couldn't hurt to get a second and even a third opinion.

wcl

Anyone have any luck with any meds for an overactive bladder. As one Dr said. Surgery would fix the prolapse but not the overactive bladder. I've tried everything and get relief for a while but it never lasts. I did PTNS for a while and it worked great but after a while it was back. Thanks for your replies.

Thank you, wcl. I, too, am kind of "getting up there" in age and know that a second opinion is definitely in order if you have any doubts about a diagnosis you're given. Case in point, last year I went to an optometrist who is in my health insurance plan. Long story short, he said I have macular degeneration in my right eye and it's going to get worse and then go into my left eye. I saw an ophthalmologist (M.D.) I know who specializes in retina issues and he said I have a macular "pucker," or a "wrinkle," which is definitely a lot less damaging than macular degeneration. He said my left eye is fine and it should stay that way for lifetime. So to anyone else reading this, do get a second opinion if you ever are given a questionable diagnosis!

I have a combination of urge incontinence and functional incontinence

6ab350e2842d0b59c44cf7654928aeaa.jpg