Overactive bladder in young adults/teenagers

Archives1

Staff member
Hey guys, my teacher recommended this forum for me to meet others with similar problems as I. Just wondering how many people out there are like me?

I have been dealing with Over Active Bladder most of my life. Now I'm dealing with BPH which is non cancerous enlarged prostate. My younger years, I had issues dealing with the problem. There was a high stigma of older teens and younger adult having to wear diapers to help with the issue. Have you been to the doctor and explained the problem you are having. If not, start there. You could have underlying problems that can be detected that is causing you OAB. In the meantime, take the time to do some research online about Over Active Bladder. There is a lot of information out there. The people in this forum can help you with questions you my have a long the way. Welcome aboard. Don't be shy. We are all here to help one another.

I have had overactive bladder since I was 14 I am 46 now. Feel free to ask any questions on this subject I can help

I have been a bedwetter nearly my whole life. It briefly stopped around age 18, only to restart a few years later. It was hit or miss until age 27. After that I was a nightly wetter.
I am now 72, nearing 73. I wear diapers and plastic pants at night. Nothing during the day yet. According to my urologist, I have an enlarged prostate, but it's not interfering with urination yet. I had a high PSA number a few years back, and had a biopsy done showing no cancer at that time. Last year the numbers went down, but only to go back up late last year. Doctor not too concerned yet, just keeping an eye on it.

I will say I recently got off of caffeine and that helped reduce OAB leakage a lot. Consider getting rid of soda coffee tea etc and see if that helps.

Lots and lots of us, for different reasons. I was born with an over-active bladder. My parents were extremely good and helpful about it - my father was a doctor. This is a long time ago - I am 78 now. When I was in my teens, the problem wasn't too bad. I had to use bed protection devised by my parents - waterproof sheet plus cotton sheet cover - and my mother knew every public and shop loo in the city (Dublin), for herself as well as for me - she suffered to a small degree from the same problem and so do my brother and one sister. When I was a teenager, there was no protection, or at any rate none that I knew about, on the market, and as I say the problem was not too bad for me then. I would warn the odd friend - if we were going for a long drive for example, if I said I needed the loo, I meant NOW, not in 10 miles' time when we reached the next town! I have climbed over many gates into fields in the country... It only really started getting bad for me around the time I retired, 20 years ago; it got really really bad after I had my first Covid vaccination in 2021. At least there is now good protection easily available for me and people like me.