Odd experience at Hospital

Archives1

Staff member
Had an odd experience at the hospital. On August 6th I went to the ER after I got off work to be checked for what I thought was hemorrhoids due to a bout of food poisoning. I ended up having emergency surgery at midnight for a perirectal abscess. Drs decided to do a spinal block instead of knocking me out for the surgery. I ended up staying 3 days in the hospital afterwards and had a Foley catheter in until the morning of my discharge. I normally am in immense pain with a Foley and have bladder spasms when I have one in. For some reason I had no pain in urethra nor bladder spasms with it this time.
I thought it was odd as I am RXed Foley catheters but opt to wear a diaper instead as I hate the discomfort they cause me. Now I am wondering why I had no issues when in the hospital?

You be careful out there! its not the first time you told us you ate something dicey
(Nothing to do with your Foley issue just motherly advice)

Hi @MarineJohn, this is just an off the wall wild guess but maybe the people at that hospital knew exactly how to insert and take care of the Foley right!!! I think having a Foley inserted has to take a certain amount of skill and just being careful, especially since no one has X-ray vision and can see how the insertion is progressing. And taking it out also needs to be done just as skillfully.
I'm sorry it had to come to emergency surgery but I hope you are recovering uneventfully and feeling much better!!

@billliveshere The hospital did and amazing job taking it out, putting it in I am sure they did also just had no feeling down there. I have had the nurse at the urology clinic I go to do it a few times and still hurts. I imagine she is well versed in inserting them.

@Kylbern @Padded53 I am sure the spinal block had something to do with it, I was able to feel and move my legs within 6 hours and could definently feel when they repacked the wound.
I know I was given Norco, Demerol (sp?) and morphine in the ER and during my stay, don't remember any Oxybutynin.

MarineJohn, as a once young guy I was forced to deal with this at 27yo, I found out real quickly that the pain was mainly generated by physical activity, and the changes in size that a mans body goes through countless times a day. I had no idea how much activity was going on with my own body until they essentially put a tracker on me!
I also had a lot of problems with the external catheter for the same reason. Once I got my bowel control back I though “I’m free of diapers”! I was very wrong. Being that young the adhesives tore my skin to shreds causing incredible pain as most guys would imagine, think Duct Tape😄 OUCH!. Then switching to a foley I found the level of activity determined my level of pain. After they attempted to cauterize the bladder wall cysts and open sores (That is Interstitial Cystitis at its finest, they nicely referred to it as a blossom?) in my bladder the horrible spasms started and would just blow around the catheter, requiring almost the same amount of protection….
I know you are not one to allow yourself to be a victim, I’d present everything to your Docs and ask them based on your recent stay, is there possibly a sustainable plan we can build on using the new data? I’m glad to hear a potential new solution for you, sorry you had to go through what you did to find it!
Best of luck!

MarineJohn.... One question that pops to mind - What size foley did they use, and what size foley do you normally use??

I had a perirectal abscess once many years ago. I remember how much it hurt - it was really awful. You have my sympathy with having to go through that!

Thankfully, it's not something I've had again, and hopefully never will.

@DaveW49519
I do not know what size they used in the hospital. At home I have 14R 16 inch which I get sent every 3 months.