New to the Group

Archives1

Staff member
Hi I’m Brian. I’m 58 and had RP surgery on 4/13. Having incontinence issues. I’m doing kegels. I’m fine sitting down. It’s when I get up that I start not a lot. I know need to go. I was drinking carbonated water. I have stop that hope that will help. Any suggestions to help the situation. It’s good that there is a group. I’m scheduled to have radiation in June if I can get this under control.

Hi Brian,

The issues of leaking after RP has received a lot of attention in this forum recently. Regardless of what your doctors have told you regaining continence takes months and progress is measured by incremental improvements week by week. See this link for some good ideas: https://forum.nafc.org/topic/2240/new-to-this/

While all of us are different and recoveries differ from person to person the norm is to do your Kegels, get a referral for physical therapy from a trained pelvic floor therapist, and keep a positive attitude. While you may think you are doing Kegels the right way it wasn’t until I went to PT that I learned a more effective way to do them.

Please search the forum for this topic as lots of people have commented on what worked for them and it may give you some ideas on what to do in your own situation

It gets better unless there are underlying issues. I would sit in a recliner for a good while and wouldn’t even know I needed to go until I stood up. Time, patience and being smart are your friend. Do your kegels. Watch what you drink and when.

After my Green Light Laser Surgery on March 4 this year, I had and still have the same issue. I did some research and learned that the kidneys release our liquid waster products every 10 to 15 seconds. So when we're sitting that collects in our bladder. When we stand up gravity takes over (unless there is another medical issue) and we have to empty it. I was told by my urologist that this will eventually stop. As mentioned above, it may take months. I keep a urinal near my recliner so it's there when I need it. I wear a pad when I have to travel. Hope this helps.

Greensleeves351 said:
Hi Brian,

The issues of leaking after RP has received a lot of attention in this forum recently. Regardless of what your doctors have told you regaining continence takes months and progress is measured by incremental improvements week by week. See this link for some good ideas: https://forum.nafc.org/topic/2240/new-to-this/

While all of us are different and recoveries differ from person to person the norm is to do your Kegels, get a referral for physical therapy from a trained pelvic floor therapist, and keep a positive attitude. While you may think you are doing Kegels the right way it wasn’t until I went to PT that I learned a more effective way to do them.

Please search the forum for this topic as lots of people have commented on what worked for them and it may give you some ideas on what to do in your own situation
@Greensleeves351

Great point about improving Kegel technique and performing correctly making a big difference. Physical Therapists trained to help men with this area do not seem to be common. My PCP persisted in looking and found a good one for me.

Hi Brian welcome to the group. I hope you are able to find help and support here. Everyone is great and non judgemental. Just here to ask questions and provide support since all of us are dealing with incontinence issues for different reasons.

Lol mine is due to MS and now basically having a neurogenic bladder. :)

Hope you find more than you thought you would as there are some really amazing people here.

Welcome

Cheers

Jason