Archives1

Staff member
Just found this forum. My wife (age 66) has Parkinson's and has suffered from nocturnal incontinence for quite awhile. During her last uti (about a month ago), which required hospitalization, they hooked her up to the Pure Wick system. This device uses an external female catheter and is connected to suction. They make a home unit which I purchased when she was discharged. The good news is she has a dry diaper in the morning!

Glad that device is working for her. Very creative and smart solution for women for sure. 😊
I have read some really good feedback on the product and so happy to see someone coming up with such a brilliant idea to overcome female anatomy obstacles. Very good news.

Welcome Bob! My dad has Parkinson’s also.
Glad you found a workable solution to help your wife. I read the designer was trying to find a solution for his wife also.
Prayers for both of you during all of this. We found out the effects of anesthesia can linger for folks with Parkinson’s after my Dad had surgery. Hope you find useful info here and will continue to contribute.
Be Blessed my friend,
Jim in MD

Thanks for the welcome. We've had concerns about post-op recovery with PD. Carla had to have her eyelids "done" earlier this year and we were very concerned that being "out" may trigger some unknown response that would linger for awhile. The surgeon and anesthesiologist were very understanding. But the Lord saw her through and there were no ill effects. The eyelid droop has vanished!

The PW system cost $330 and a month's supply of catheters is $207. Insurance does not cover this. However...the design of the catheter is such that it can be disinfected and reused. This may not sit well with some folks but we are retired and have to watch our $$$. The key to all of this is using a hospital-grade germicide (Control 3). If anyone is interested I can go into further detail.

If you can tell us where to acquire this system and anything more it would be welcome..
We are always open to new information!
If its alright i would like you to post in a new topic something with a subject line like

External female catheter for nocturnal incontinence

And describe the name of the item and the supplier your experience how to use it.cost

There are so MANY women especially young women and parents of young girls who need to know this who will BENEFIT and a title that catches their attention will HELP!!
What a godsend!

Posted the link in a new topic.

We stumbled upon this in August when my wife was admitted to a hospital here in Reno NV for uti and septicemia. As she was being admitted and the nurse was explaining things and getting her checked into the room, the obvious question arose: What happens when my wife needs to urinate, presses the "Nurse" call button, and no one comes? Because of her PD, she just can't hop out of bed and use the bathroom. She's been hospitalized for this before and had issues with the aides not responding in a timely manner. The nurse flashed a smile and said "We have something brand new". Then she told us about the Pure Wick system. The system has been out on the market for 2-3 years but has been slow in getting into "the right hands".

As above, this has been a great help for Carla. With PD and muscle tone issues, the bladder doesn't function as it should. This has been a Godsend for her.

One female catheter is "good" for the entire night. However, I am a retired respiratory therapist (RRT) and have worked in the medical field a long time. I am "old school" which means I know when something can be disinfected and reused. The components of the catheter are rather simple: catheter body, pickup tube, inner lining and an outer lining. Not rocket science. So far we have only used 2 out of a box of 30 because the components are durable. I am also experimenting with optional materials in the event that the absorbing material breaks down and needs to be replaced.

Because the catheter is for adult women, it can't be used on smaller individuals such as children. That also includes very small size adult women. And if a person weighs a lot, I think I read around 400 lbs it can't be used either.

Thank you Bob! At least some will get a help from this.
I love that nurses honesty about the getting the product "into the right hands".
In other words its not a money maker for Big Pharm

PureWick is manufactured by Bard, BD now owns Bard but you should be able to find info on both websites. Hope this helps.

Amen. I am hoping to see more folks create better management solutions for both urinary and fecal incontinence. We may be surprised as the year progresses and more creative solutions emerge.