New mattress

Archives1

Staff member
Ok, so a little background on this.. i have been a bedwetter my entire life. I have never invested in a quality mattress. I think as a kid the idea that i dont need a good mattress was embedded in me as my parents had me in a toddler bed until about 8 and after that I had a twin mattress in plastic until i moved out at 19.
As an adult i had been given a couple mattresses which i ruined over the years due to the vinyl covers ripping/diapers leaking so eventually I moved to inflatable mattresses that you use for camping.
So now that Im getting older... I have a body that just aches every morning and my sleep quality has been awful. I took the plunge on buying one of those fancy memory foam mattresses that has been sitting in my betroom in a box for 2 weeks because im too worried im going to ruin it.. question is..the company i bought it from included a mattress protector in the package...it is nothing like the protectors i used to have.. does anyone have experience with these "newer" mattress covers? Im just skeptical of how well they work but i dont want to go back to sleeping on plastic sheets again, they are too hot and just not comfortable for me.

I have a nice mattress and use a water proof mattress pad. It’s not a vinal/rubber sheet. It’s actually like a quilt but with a water proof layer. They actually sell them with cooling gel now too. I don’t really have bedtime issues so I haven’t put it to the test but they advertise them for being waterproof. Basically I have my cake and eat it too.

They sell them at most mattress shops and even box stores like target and Walmart.

Haha good to know. Gotta love modern technology I guess. I think I'm too paranoid over all this and just need to put this thing together..

With the protector, look into the washable bed pads. These are a great backup just Incase and can go under the sheets or just under you. I’ve bought a few different ones and have found they are great for the occasional leak and are very absorbent!!

Hi@JC1471, If I were you I'd be a bit paranoid too! :eek:After all a memory foam mattress is a pretty big investment. It sounds like the mattress protector that came with the mattress protects from dust and mites and if you occasionally spill water or a beverage. I doubt if it's for serious incontinence issues. With that in mind, I would go ahead and call a company that sells incontinence supplies online and tell the sales rep exactly what you're looking for and that you definitely do not want to ruin your investment! They should be able to suggest something and can ship it out to you. Or if you have a medical supply store where you live you can ask them the same thing. They won't have to ship it to you and you can put it on that night and feel you've made the right choice.
I hope that helps!

Thank goodness you set up a thread for this! My father wants to buy me a new mattress but I'm worried if should. It seems that those who answered suggest a mattress pad? A question for everyone then: what mattress itself do you think world match with a pad? Basically is there a specific one?

We have TWO waterproof mattress protector covers on our bed. Neither one feels like plastic, both feel like a thin quilted fabric, that seems to have a waterproof layer in the middle. We had bought one just before we bought the new mattress, then we found the mattress came with one. I didn't quite trust the "waterproofness" of these covers, so I put both on. I figure if one fails, I have backup.

But even with these two protective covers, I still recently added a bed pad on top of them, since if the quilted fabric gets wet, it can't just be wiped off like a plastic sheet. Of course, the real solution is a diaper thick enough to avoid leaks in the first place.

MikeD9876 said:
We have TWO waterproof mattress protector covers on our bed. Neither one feels like plastic, both feel like a thin quilted fabric, that seems to have a waterproof layer in the middle. We had bought one just before we bought the new mattress, then we found the mattress came with one. I didn't quite trust the "waterproofness" of these covers, so I put both on. I figure if one fails, I have backup.

But even with these two protective covers, I still recently added a bed pad on top of them, since if the quilted fabric gets wet, it can't just be wiped off like a plastic sheet. Of course, the real solution is a diaper thick enough to avoid leaks in the first place.

Ya I kind of figured I'm going back to a diaper every night just in case. Kind of sucks because I don't wet every night so laundry a couple days a week extra was a decent tradeoff vs horrible feeling of being in a diaper. I think I will test this protector that came with and then take suggestions of those other pads that were posted in this thread if it don't work. It will literally only be an issue if the diaper leaks at night.

@JC1471 I totally get your apprehension. Protecting the mattress as a bedwetter is our highest concern and worry. When my bedwetting started as a teen I resorted to a large plastic trash bag and a beach towel as my bed protection. Thankfully I have graduated from my rudimentary attempts to protect my mattress from my bedwetting.

I use a multi level protection now. There is a thin waterproof mattress pad as a base layer, then over that is a better waterproof mattress pad that has a waterproof backing and soft and plush quilted topper. Next comes the regular bottom bed sheet. Then for my side of the bed (I'm married) I have a quilted waterproof bed pad that I sleep on. It is the length of the bed and like 34" wide. I've posted a link to what I used previously and DM me if you want more info on the bed pad.

With this system we have never had and issue with the mattress getting wet. 99% of the time the only wetness is on the bed pad that I am sleeping on. The few random times where for some reason I was not on the pad when I bedwetted the waterproof mattress pad under the bottom sheet caught all the wetness.

So that is my system that has served me well and our mattress over all these years. Not one tell tale wet stain on our mattress that is getting old enough now that we need to start thinking about replacing it. Not due to my bedwetting but due to it being so old now. My (before I got married mattress had one or two embarrassing stains and the twin mattress I slept on from teen years until well after college that had a few more obvious, someone peed the bed, stains on it would have done well with this system.

Hope this helps.

JT

They say that it is a good idea to replace a mattress after about 10 years just because mattresses, like everything other thing, gets old and out of date.

23andpee said:
Thank goodness you set up a thread for this! My father wants to buy me a new mattress but I'm worried if should. It seems that those who answered suggest a mattress pad? A question for everyone then: what mattress itself do you think world match with a pad? Basically is there a specific one?

Hey 23andpee read my post above, it might offer some good suggestions as have others here on this thread. I'd say go for it and let your father get you a mattress knowing that you know how to protect it.

Does your father know you have some bedwetting issues?

I kept my bedwetting from my parents when it started when I was a teen and TBH kept it from them and everyone until I was way way older. My wife knew about my bedwetting before my mom did :O .

Like I said, with the knowledge of how to protect the mattress I'd say let your father get you the new mattress, you deserve it.

MikeD9876 said:

@MikeD9876 Other than the diapers this is totally my approach. Glad to see others do what I do.

Hi @23andpee, Sure, do let your dad buy you a new mattress. It'll be more comfortable (which you definitely deserve) and there are good products to protect it. You can call your favorite online incon product supplier and tell them what you want, that is something that's for incontinence issues but more importantly will protect a new mattress. Barring that you may get the same at a medical supply store where you live (assuming there is one in the place where you live). Please don't be hesitant to talk to them because they have heard it all before!! I hope you can get it soon so you can enjoy a comfortable night!:D