New Guy

Pbk123 Sorry but it doesn't look like we have answered your question a couple months ago about which diapers are best.

To be honest it takes a bit of trying various varieties to find what fits best and works best for you. Depends on your size & shape, type & amount of incontinence, activity level, day or night, etc. I like the Forsite AM/PMs & Confifry 24/7s best. They are a bit thick but thankfully super absorbent which sadly I need because although I do still have some control, I unfortunately often have massive flooding accidents both day & night. Other diapers that I have found to be very good include (but not limited to) Molicare Super Plus, Rearz Inspire (white) & seduction (black), Seni Quattro (soft), and Abena L4 (plastic or soft). There are many others but hopefully that's a bit to help get you started. I've also had some success with a couple of pull-up types if you're looking for that info. Good luck and happy hunting!

I can certainly understand that. I've discovered very quickly that Diapers are expensive no matter what kind you get. For me it came down to which is more expensive, the ones that are cheaper to buy but have to be changed many more times a day and cause far more stress (due to leaks and/or possibility of leaks)? Or the ones that are higher quality and capacity that can be worn most or all day if necessary? My other consideration was that I really didn't have a choice because when I have an accident, it is almost always massive floods. Without a quality diaper I'd be saturating my clothes all the time and that to me is unacceptable so I am forced to pay more. I still wear the cheaper and more widely available brands but mostly when I'm at home or know that I'll be ok with the lighter protection. That way I spend less than I would if I wore the premium diapers all of the time. I hope that you can find a quality product, one that works like you really like, in your price range. Best wishes and good luck.

Which brand of pull-up would you recommend? I'm a 62yr female and I weigh 185lbs. When I "flood" I really "flood". However, don't want to be going around during the day with a "full" pull up. Thanks.

I know what you mean about REALLY flooding! I mostly have to wear brief/tab style due to quantity and rate of my floods. OAB and urge incontinence is not for the faint hearted is it?! Sadly most of the pull-ups I've tried have not been good for me. However, I do find the Tranquility Premium Overnight and Abena Abriflex Premium (L3) to be extremely good. I can also sometimes use the depends silhouette or active wear but only when I'm fairly certain that I won't have a major accident (not that I'm ever actually sure). My other light coverage option is the Attends DermaDry Complete briefs which I get from the VA. They are certainly discrete and comfortable like the pull-ups and work ok but much better when I add a booster (also provided by VA). Even with the booster, my Light options have been totally insufficient for night though so I still need the premium coverage for bed. Not an issue every night but when it is it REALLY IS.

As for going around in a "full" pull-up, yeh, I have struggled through that too. I prefer to be dry all the time, but have begun to understand and accept that unfortunately that is not always practical or feasible or economical. I definitely don't like to be wet but have started to get used to it and really not so bad especially when you are wearing the premium diapers that wick away the moisture very well and have excellent odor control.

Thanks very much for your post. I appreciate it. I'm going for Botox injections on June 9. Have you tried them?

When it comes to floods, I am the king of them. I always get a kick out of my urologist asking about "leaks". I don't leak, I gush-usually a liter or better at a time. I generally only have two accidents a day (because of lack of sensation of needing to go) and if I don't think to cath sometime throughout the day, I build until I loose it. There is no warning between the knowledge of needing to go. My first warning is standing in a yellow lake. I have found my only protection is Abena 4 or Tena super with two booster pads. When I use it and then take it off it feels like about 10 pounds but my pants are dry. I have had many more dry days since the Interstim implant though. I know that diaper selection for us "super-soakers" can be incredibly frustrating!

I'll occasionally put this forum aside for a time, then return to read topics of interest to me.

Since bladder incontinence is not new to me, I can appreciate the thinking related to so many of the comments in the above thread.

The situation is that I've long been confronted with so many of the finer points to keeping dry, the economics of it, and the daily management. It has been a lot to work through over the years, but the personal processes of those more newly incontinent echo mine and remind me how I felt at the time, too. There are stages to this, as you might well guess.

Flooding and soaking is nothing new to me and coming to terms with it took patience and time. It basically comes down to an accommodation. You'll find it happening with yourselves and you'll see it evolving in others. As you come here to participate or to simply just read, logging on here will become an important process that helps you cope: to return to or continue with you life activities and interests.

So, if it comes to concerns over floods, here we are! If it comes to further concerns over being out and about in a wet or soaked diaper, here we are, too.

It so bugged me at first when I'd have an accident. I felt totally compelled to escape and get into dry protection at once. The impracticality (often the impossibility) of that forced a drastic re-think and new accommodation for me. It works out like that; you re-invent and deal. There is a lot of trial and error along the way. The more resourceful you are, the better.

So, keep sharing, keep posting. Ask the questions, pose the solutions, present the feelings & concerns. It helps a lot, possibly even for those who never post a single comment.

Pbk123 -- Good luck with your procedure. Best wishes for positive results! Looking forward to hearing about how it went.

My Botox injections have helped tremendously. I did, however, test positive for e.coli which produced a bladder infection. I knew something was wrong last weekend when I had to void what seemed like every twenty minutes. Anyway, the PA put me on Cipro for two weeks. It started to help after one day! I have to have my urine retested in two to three weeks for follow up. I feel so much better now. The Botox took about a month to kick in and hopefully the relief will last for six months. I can't have a redo of the injections before then.

I think my UTI has come back so I dropped off urine at my primary care physician on Friday. The first infection wasn't e.colU. It was streptococcus something or other. I am very symptomatic now with burning, urgency and frequency. I feel horrible.