Never knew a human could 'pee ' so often

Archives1

Staff member
Hi all

Wondering if others have or are having annoying frequent pee intervals post surgery?

I am 3 months post prostate removal, only have little leaks which are mainly when I rise from sitting, bend or hit golf balls for examples. I know when I need 'to go' and do not wet myself fully or have uncontrolable symptoms.

What is soooo annoying is the frequency; at nights I wear pull ups ( just in case ) and during the day, absorbant pads, but the urge 'to go' is every 60-90 minutes. 24/7.

Sleep is always interupted, normal activities like grocery shopping or car rides have to
involve 'pee' stops.

What have yous' experienced?

My physical therapist taught me how to train my bladder after my prostate surgery. Was very similar to you. Go to a PT who is specifically knowledgeable in pelvic floor and has worked with other patients who have had prostate surgery. It sounds crazy, but is fairly simple to correct your problem with the right PT. I don’t understand why the prostate surgeons don’t routinely recommend the right type of PT.

Omg I continually pee myself go through 6 or 7 diapers a day
I hardly ever have an urge to pee. It's been 3 and half months
Ive been doing kegels kegels exercises all the time and still nothing. I have a follow up appointment in 2 weeks
Ughhhh

@Johnnyo : Six or seven diapers a day is quite a lot, what diapers are you using? Often using a better quality but more expensive diaper can actually save you money and time in that you may have to change only once or twice a day.

I appreciate the advice but I'm not using cheap diapers. They are completely soaked. I've started using super absorbent inserts inside the diapers and that brought me down to 6 or 7 diapers. I have to change every 2 to three hours...

I would look into your issues a bit deeper if it seems abnormal to you, perhaps get a second opinion. I can't confirm this but ive heard some people's bladder fills quicker than normal which would lead to these issues. If I find out the why, I will let you know *I was told I have this issue myself*. I am fortunate in a way my capacity has shrunk because I don't flood pullups as often, but it seems like liquid goes through me quicker than average, and this was confirmed via a urologist.

Thank you. It has been quite frustrating... I'm a pretty active guy racquet ball disc.golf and pickleball. And I was never anticipating how much this surgery would affect my life.... again thanks for your input....

Hi @Johnnyo, although you may not have had to stay in the hospital to have this surgery, surgery is still surgery and it is not at all unusual to still be feeling the effects even after three and a half months. With some people it may be a year before they feel 100 percent over it. Everyone is different and everyone's rate of recovery after any kind of surgery is different as well. Surgery is an invasion of your body and it takes time for it to heal, even if the docs call it "minimally invasive."
In the meantime it's good to be as active as possible and try to build up your stamina again over time. But keep doing the kegels as I've heard through this forum that they take time before you really notice any difference with them.
Mild exercise such as walking is a great way to get back into a more active life following surgery. Start off walking whatever distance you're comfortable with before you get tired and then do just a bit more each following day.
It's good you have a follow up in two weeks because you will be able to go over your concerns with the doctor and he can determine your rate of recovery and answer questions you may have about that. Also it may be good to ask about PT to see if that would help speed your recovery.
In the meantime keep using the booster pads. If you're now to down to 6 or 7 diapers a day at least that's headed in the right direction.

Thank you so much. It's just good to vent... And thank you for the response it's definitely makes a difference hearing from other people such as yourself

Well that's one of the good things about a forum such as this. This is a way to share experiences and although this incontinence is definitely not a "one size fits all" type of thing we all have different reactions and it's good to find out how others handle what has happened to them and can give advice to avoid any of the pitfalls that may occur. And this is a good place to vent because there is a real "I know how you feel. That's happened to me" vibe (for lack of a better word at the moment!) going on here.

@Johnnyo: Sorry to say this but U.S. Tenas just aren't very good, even their best diaper is marginal at best. If you changed to something like a Northshore Mega Max, Better Dry, or ComfiDry 24/7 you would only need two, or maybe three a day, especially if you add a booster. Any of these super premium diapers will easily hold four or five times what your Tena will.

Padded53 said:
@Johnnyo : Six or seven diapers a day is quite a lot, what diapers are you using? Often using a better quality but more expensive diaper can actually save you money and time in that you may have to change only once or twice a day.

Agreed. I just started using Protech Dry underwear. They're expensive, but they work great. For extra protection, I also use Tena superabsorbent pads. They're expensive too, but they keep me dry for the whole day, and I'm someone who leaks a lot. I used to go through 6 or 7 Depends underwear per day.

@Padded53 Tena works great for me. One pad can get me through almost an entire day. Sometimes I change to a fresh pad just because I have been wearing one for a few hours, but it's not really necessary to change because the pad still feels pretty dry.

@JoelCairo: For sure US Tenas MAY work for some, but it really is a very individual thing when it comes to incontinence. I don't know the level of your incontinence but it sounds like for Johnnyo it is really at a high level and it sounds like he really needs a super premium diaper just to keep up with his large and/or constant leakage.

@Padded53 I don't have a reference point to gauge how much I leak, except to say that when I was only using Depends I had to change 6 or 7 times a day. Since I started using Tena, the need to change has decreased markedly. I know you are referring to a "super premium diaper" but the Tena packaging does say "super" on it in terms of absorbency. Still, I'm a newbie at all this having just had my surgery 4 weeks ago. I have been learning by trial and error.

Thanks everyone for the input and I have and will continue to try different ones.... It's just a little overwhelming at times I wasn't mentally prepared for this situation. But I really appreciate all the comments it does really help being on this forum
Thanks again everyone

@Johnnyo: Often the mental side of having to use incontinence products is more difficult than the physical side of it. Feel free to ask for advice or even rant away and hopefully one of here on the forum will be able to help.

@JoelCairo: It's very difficult to know what you need to use when you are a newbie. As you said you just don't have a good reference point to fully understand what is available and what you need. Not to brag but I've been using incontinence products for seven years and have tried a ton of different products. However that said what works great for me may not work at all for you so unfortunately even with the best of advice it's still tends to be up to personal trial and error.