Neuro Modulation

Archives1

Staff member
Has anyone had neuromodulation where a wire is placed near the spine with an internal battery to regulate signals between the brain and the bladder? I have been scheduled for this procedure and am curious if anyone has had it and if it was successful. Thanks.

I had the interstim implanted first as a temporary to see how I would do and then the permanent device implanted last week. I had to try various settings on the unit to get where I thought it worked best for me. I am using the device for bowel purposes. It is making my life better.

I had the permanent device implanted last November, so I've had it nearly four months. It's been nothing short of amazing for me. My overactive bladder is very nearly normal now, and I've only had one accident since the surgery.

I haven't worn diapers since late December, and most days I have no bouts of urgency. When I do have occasional urgency, I'm able to wait through it, then get to the restroom once it passes.

I hope it works for you as well as it's worked for me! Not everybody has this good of results, but some do.

@ltapilot good to hear that it is working so well. I'm hoping to have the same procedure once our hospitals get back to normal, cheers Phil

@debvollmer most of our hospitals are only doing emergency surgery, cancer surgery and looking after covid-19 patients. The numbers in hospital are starting to go down, so I hope that elective surgery will start again soon. I have been on a waiting list since February 2020, so I ought to get my turn soon.

For those who asked, I’m in North Carolina. I had to have a COVID test before and I am now quarantining until the procedure.