NAFC Needs Your Help!

Archives1

Staff member
Dear Message Board Friends,

As many of you know, the National Association For Continence (the owner of this board and website) has long been an advocate for decreasing the stigma around urinary incontinence and related conditions. For over 38 years, we have provided education, community and support to those touched by incontinence and have advocated for increased quality standards in absorbent products on a national level. Every year, nearly 2 million people visit our website to learn about their condition, find out about new treatment options, find tools to help them talk with their doctor, or, like you, connect with others like them. We hope this space has given you the outlet and community you need to make dealing with incontinence a little bit easier.

We recently launched a new campaign called “Life Without Leaks”, where we hope to not only decrease the stigma of incontinence but provide those who are too scared to ask for help with the inspiration to open up about their condition. We know from our own research that most people wait an average of 7 years before talking to a doctor about incontinence. We feel that is too long, especially when there are so many treatments that can help get folks back on track and living the life they want. We hope you’ll check out our new campaign here, and on social media. (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram). We've also included some of the imagery from the campaign here in this post.

This December, we want to highlight some of the work we do by hearing from some of the people we help. We are wondering if you might help us do that by replying to this thread (or in a Private Message to us, if that feels more comfortable) by answering these two questions:

1. What does NAFC mean to me?
2. What would I do if I could live a Life Without Leaks?

We hope you’ll be as open and honest in your replies to us as you can be, and tell us the ways NAFC has helped you manage both the emotional and physical aspects of incontinence.

Thanks so much for your continued support of us, and each other,
The NAFC team
3cfe53a3bed3d345c767acb459056794.jpg
ad6dc586cc6d340729a902008cc0e826.jpg
3ffe9207eef89fe8649116f95083bc4f.jpg

Survey didn't work, froze after first click, several times. Appears to be a technical issue, as I canstill use & post on the forum. Thanks. I really want to fill it out.

Thanks Alas South! It actually isn't a clickable link-just images we are using in our new campaign across social media! You can write your answers in a new post in this thread or you can PM us if that feels more comfortable.

Well, for heaven's sake, don't call it a survey!
I never got to read the whole thing because it froze and wouldn't even scroll.
Can read it now. The choices are not applicable to me - the questions would be if we could fill out an "other" choice. But I got the idea. I guess.
Thanks for returning our - well, complaints/issues/puzzlement/frustrations.

Hows about an answer of every catagory except maybe the first one? some on this forum must have a lot to say/think about/get frustrated. It can be a sensitive subject, but maybe productive.

Sorry for the confusion! The images are just examples of some things we are doing in the campaign. The two questions stated above are:

1. What does NAFC mean to me?
2. What would I do if I could live a Life Without Leaks?

Would love to hear your thoughts!

Answering question 1 is easy: NAFC is a community of others who share the same daily challenges I do, and who understand what it means to live with a medical condition that the world treats as something to hide and be ashamed of.

Question 2 is harder to answer: incontinence is a symptom of another condition. In my case the other condition was prostate cancer. Incontinence was only one of several adverse outcomes of surgery.

I experience these outcomes as a whole, not as separate parts, and as a whole my quality of life has been severely impacted by surgery and its aftermath. If "life without leaks" means that only my incontinence goes away then overall my quality of life would improve only marginally.

Sorry - I realise that I'm over thinking this answer, but I feel it is really important for victims of this condition (and any other condition) to speak of the whole-of-life impact of their condition and any treatment.

The medical profession treats conditions and symptoms, but doesn't treat a person or the person's life, whether it is broken by the treatment or not. We need this to change.

NAFC is a blessing to me because I can vent to others that have or understand my condition. If I didn't leak or have total incontinence I would definitely get out and do more with my family and probably hike in the mountains and go to a lot of attractions and have fun. As it is right now, I just don't like to get out of the house for anything.

My incontinence isn't perhaps so bad, but diapers can help prevent leaks pretty well. I do all what's in the images above but for the bowling, which has more to do with my wrists. If you ask me, this website is great for advice, knowing one is not alone, being ok with who one is. Fewer leaks, perhaps, or knowing the occasional leak isn't the end of the world. Life without leaks isn't exactly my goal.