My un timed diaper experience

Archives1

Staff member
My incontinence started right around when I turned 50. It started out slow a few leaks every now and then most of the times at night. One morning I woke up and the bed sheets were completely wet. I didn’t think much of it and wrote it off as an accident. A week or so later it happened again. I was now thinking it might be a bigger issue. I was like I guess I will have to buy some men’s depends to wear at night. Well it was not long after I started wearing them at night I realized that I’m peeing more than I thought and they leaked through. So I went online and learned for heavy incontinence that pull up briefs do not work good sag and leak.

So i did some research and it recommends that adult diapers with tabs work best. So I ordered comfi dry 24/7 plastic back diapers with tabs. The diapers worked and I did not have any leakage. One night I was at my girlfriends and was going to spend the night. I thought I would put on the diaper under shorts and go to bed. After she fell asleep on the couch I got up and started putting on my diaper to go to bed in. Well just as I stood up she was standing at the door with a big what are you doing look on her face. So we both went into the room and I explained to her my situation. She was not upset at the fact I was wearing a diaper to bed. She was more upset that I did not tell her.

Well after that she told me I need to schedule an appointment with a urologist because it might lead to a more serious medical issue. After my 1st visit the doctor gave me some over active bladder pills to take at night. In the beginning they didn’t work and I was still wetting my diaper but not as much. On my next doctors visit he said that give them some time and gave me a five week supply. I continued taking the pills and went 2 weeks without wetting in my diaper. So I stopped wearing them all together. Well about a week went by and I work up one morning and my sheets were completely wet - by the way when I ordered the diapers I also ordered a form fitting plastic sheet for my bed.
After that episode I starting back to wearing diapers to bed. I was still wetting the diaper every now and then. After the pils ran out I went back to the doctors. I had shown him my chart every time I woke up and my diaper was full He gave me a six week supply of a different pill to treat OAB. My first morning my diaper was full.

I’m not disappointed as like my 1st pills took some time to kick in. I guess my point to the story is don’t be embarrassed to have nighttime incontinence or having to wear diapers to prevent bed wetting. My journey continues and I won’t give up seeking treatment. For now wearing a diaper to bed is just another routine I have to do before I go to bed. Hope this story helps

Chad

Thank you for sharing this, Chad. There are bound to be people on this forum who will benefit from your situation. They may also benefit from how forthright you are about what is often a trying dilemma.

Your girlfriend is a keeper!
I didn't know about the part about giving the pills to kick in. Can you share their names? I'd like to ask my doctor about them, as I suspect others would.
Thanks for sharing.

Hey Chad. I’ve been in diapers for the past three years and over that time until now Have tried different pills, bladder Botox injections at different doses, resume procedure, Interstim where they put wires in the spine for the trial period to see if it’s going to work before they put an implant in, and now I’m trying PTNS Percutaneous Nerve Stimulation and I’ve had four or five treatments out of twelve total and so far isn’t working.
Hang in there.