Mesh VS Flesh

Archives1

Staff member
I am needing to have surgery to fix my prolapsed bladder. My doctor gave me the option of getting the mesh implant or using my own tissue. What did you have done? Would you do something different? Did you have any complications?

I had prolapse surgery several years ago and it went very easily and worked well. I do not think I had either mesh or a sling. I also had a hysterectomy at the same time. (As a friend said at the time, I didn't need those parts anymore, and I don't miss them!) NOW however, I recently had cancer in my urethra, and most of my urethra was removed, leaving me incontinent. So now I am going to have an obstructing sling surgery using my own belly tissue to hopefully, change that. My doctor highly recommended/insisted on my own tissue so that my body would not reject it.
Best wishes to you for your surgery!

Recently I have seen TV commercials sponsored by attorneys who were soliciting business from patients whose mesh implants had caused them grief. However, I have known several folks whose mesh implants worked wonders for them. I guess the result can be either good or bad; good luck finding a surgeon who knows your situation and can fix it.