Medtronic neural stem device

Archives1

Staff member
Hi everyone, I recently did the test for this device and I would say the results were mixed at best. The first day was amazing significant improvement but after that it really fell off and I would say mediocre after that…as the problem is I leak urine all day long so it’s really hard to tell if somethings working. Anyway, I’m probably gonna get the surgery. And I’m curious if anyone here has done the device before and seen improvement?

mustangmike1971 said:
Hi everyone, I recently did the test for this device and I would say the results were mixed at best. The first day was amazing significant improvement but after that it really fell off and I would say mediocre after that…as the problem is I leak urine all day long so it’s really hard to tell if somethings working. Anyway, I’m probably gonna get the surgery. And I’m curious if anyone here has done the device before and seen improvement?

I had the full 3 wire test with the same results you did. Seems I had to keep increasing the about of stimulation as results would fade in about 6-8 hours. I am waiting to hear back with a surgery date. I figure there is about a 50% chance they can dial in a program for me. There is another on this site who has had the surgery and is trying to get it dialed in. I have a post on this, a ways down the home page if you would like to read a bit. I take Myrbetriq and that worked well for a number of years. It did fade and my doctor added Alfuzosin. That increased the time from 2 to 3 hours for nighttime bath room trips and did improved the control results for a short time.

With the medication helping I am able to use TP and separate pouch underwear to get by. I have a really bad reaction to pads. But not TP. I use 4-6 sheets of heavy Cottonelle tp wrapped around penis head and tucked into the penis pouch of the underwear. Tp is in bathrooms and I can change out the damp tissue for dry anytime and do not have to carry anything with me or worry about running out of supplies. My doctor said that the test was the next step in my process. Guess I need to ask what the next step is if this does not work.

Get it done. I had minimal results with the temporary but after I got the permanent one it took some adjustments but eventually I regained complete control

We have lots of conversations on this forum about the Medtronic Insterstim device. I am 76 and have been using it since around 2015. Works well for me.

@mustangmike1971, I had my first Medtronic Interstim implanted in 2017. It worked for two years and then the lead stopped functioning. I saw another urologist in 2021 who told me I should have Green Light laser surgery to reduce my prostate which was squeezing my urethra. He removed 65% of my prostate and passed me on to a surgeon in his practice who implanted Interstim after I had recuperated from his surgery. She installed two of them in 2022. The first one saw the lead poke through my skin after a few months. (She used a lead that was too short.) She explanted it and implanted another device which worked for about two weeks. The Medtronic rep. did an impedance check and determined the device stopped working.

I found a new urologist who explanted the nonfunctioning device and implanted my fourth Interstim. (The previous surgeon had implanted it with a very sharp angle that caused it not to work correctly.)

After three weeks of working with a new Medtronic rep. to adjust the newest device, I think I have hit the sweet spot where it will work for me. It has not stopped the frequency issue, but it has helped with the urgency. Yesterday I made it to the bathroom in time 7 out of 8 times. To me, it is worth all I've been through.

It is important to note the hope is the device will help at least 50% of the time, not all the time.

The key is to find a doctor who has experience with the implant AND a an experienced Medtronic rep. who will help you until the device is set so it works the best for you.