Leakage

Archives1

Staff member
I'm 9 months after my surgery, I use two pads a day I've started wetting in the bed . I leak when I sleep

Hi Marlondb,
Welcome, glad you are here. What surgery did you have done? Hope it went well.
Hope you find helpful information and some friends here in your journey.
Good to have you.

Jim

@Marlondb I recommend starting with Depends pull-ups initially (conveniently available at every grocery/big box store). Then if you need even more nighttime protection, try diapers, which cost more money and have to be ordered online.

Hi @Marlondb, I can understand how you thought the leaking would have decreased by now. But with surgery there is no "one size fits all." Everybody is different and recovers at different rates. Successful surgery may be considered "textbook cases," but that is just the mechanics of the actual surgery itself. It doesn't take into account that everybody has different reactions and I don't think there is a set schedule that says you have to recover by a certain time. But please check with your doctor to see if things are still on course for you. As for now I would go with the pull-ups, either Depend or whatever brand you prefer.
Seems like you are new here so welcome aboard! There is a lot of very good guidance here and I'm sure you will feel comfortable here.:)

@Marlondb There are many men on this website who never regain full continence. I suggest you read some of the many conversation threads about this.

Hi @Marlondb. You're welcome! We do everything here to make sure you're not steered wrong! As for your latest question re: erection, that question is best answered by your doctor. I hope I'm assuming right that it is a urologist. I know you feel awkward asking about that, even if a nurse or wife/girlfriend are not with you. I know I would feel awkward. I did ask a somewhat similar question of a surgeon I had. I just kind of said to myself, "well, here goes..." and just went ahead and point-blank asked. Your doctor, especially a urologist, has heard it all before and he may even be expecting that question. Your doctor knows the particulars about your surgery and recovery, so he is the best one to ask.

I’ve had to talk to my gynecologist about sexual function in the past. My complaints (pain, bleeding, and extreme dryness during sex, even though I was very turned on) led to them eventually finding my cancer, so I’m very glad I brought up the issues. My doctor was completely used to this stuff and very comfortable discussing such questions. I think I was the only one who felt unnecessarily shy about discussing it. Now I don’t mind talking about my nether regions with a physician. Doctors are absolutely trained in these areas and familiar with helping patients through ALL the problems we encounter.

I understand my doctor would be the best person to ask, but he has never had prostate cancer. So I just wanted to see what someone would say who has had the same thing that I had.Yea my doctor is a urologist.

It’s interesting that females have gynecologists AND urologists for our private parts, but males only have urologists. Kind of odd!

Not sure whether your ED (erectile dysfunction) is due to surgery or not. So I cannot answer whether you will always need help. I have and enlarged prostate and cannot get a good erection. Not trying to overly graphic but, I get fatter in diameter and do elongate but am not hard enough for penetration. I cannot use many of the ED medications on the market because of already low blood pressure. (they cause me to pass out. Been through that a couple of times on 2 of the more well known ED medications). My condition (according to my urologist) will not improve as I age. Right now I use a vacuum pump or 20mg of Tadalafil (prescription from urologist not over counter). Both require planning there is no spontaneity in my love making. The vac pump works very well but sometimes the rings can be painful if left on to long. The advantage to a pump no delay other than getting the erection. The medication works nicer (better?) but I need approx 1/2 hour for it to take affect. It is also longer to lose the erection. It's the type of thing you dont use if you have somewhere to be. Hope this helps either way like others have said you are going to have to talk to your DR to get help. It can be embarrassing but they are supposed to be able to help us. We just have to have the courage to speak up. I remember I was very "nervous" the appointment I knew I was going to bring it up but after a few seconds we were engaged in a question and answer session that ultimately led to my getting help. Course this was also over numerous visits and a few hiccups but I got there.

Very good post, @Tim I really learned something. If and when I need ED meds I'll know where to read about it. Just having the courage to speak up when you need to ask the doctor something is very valid and true! I think the reason why we are embarrassed to ask is it is something that we don't talk about casually or daily, say at work or at family gatherings etc. It's still foreign for us to be talking about those things face-to-face with a professional since we meet with them comparatively infrequently throughout the year. So once you make up your mind to tell the doctor what's really on your mind, just jump in there and do it! Like jumping into cold water! It's a shock for a couple of minutes and then you warm up to it! (I know kind of a strange comparison.):eek:

Snow
I admit I know very little about both male and female anatomy or reproductive systems. But I wonder of women need 2 types of doctors because of how much more complex your reproductive system appears to be? I think one also has to include the complexity of a woman's breasts into the equation. I have never had a mammogram (I think that the breast check?)There's nothing happening in there on a man.
Is it possible part of this reason a urologist works with a man for both urinary and reproductive issues is as a man I think my waste (urine) and reproductive system are so closely interlinked? Most if not all of my incontinence issues are caused by my reproductive system. Many times when I have a UTI the pain is also found in my testicles. Many times with a UTI I have a lot of pain when I ejaculate. Most times when I get a UTI I also end up with prostatitis (which is a infection in my prostate). I dont know the answer but I did find it to be an interesting question you posed.

Hi Snow, that is an interesting question you asked and have to admit it crossed my mind a time or two. I think Tim covered it very well above, especially saying most of his incontinence issues start in the reproductive area. The main parts of the male reproductive system are closely tied in with the urinary system, that is the prostate and testicles. They are close neighbors. If there is a prostate issue it does affect urinary flow, either with too much flow (say after prostatectomy) or too little (getting up in the middle of the night and can't pee because the prostate is squeezing the urethra). Now someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the prostate is like a ring around the urethra and sometimes with an enlarged prostate they go into the urethra and sort of "shave" off part of the prostate that is impinging on urinary flow, or what is called a trans urethral resection.
The female reproductive system is not quite that close a neighbor to the urinary system but prolapses and fistulas can still play havoc on both systems at the same time. I've heard of instances where urine leaks out of the vagina because of a fistula so that requires specialized attention.
I know on another thread you mentioned doctors specializing in urogynecology. They would take care of the example just above. I remember you mentioned there are no urogynecologists in Utah and that the closest ones are in Los Angeles. I wonder if this means that issues affecting both the female reproductive and urinary systems are not all that common?

@billliveshere The primary cause of female incontinence is childbearing, because it permanently shreds all kinds of nerves and flesh. Most of the damage heals, but far from all of it. My female friends, my aunt, and my mom became stress incontinent after their second child. Fortunately I chose not to have children, but then, I fell down the cliff and did way more damage than giving birth would have done! Oh well.

Hi snow, I wouldn't doubt it because giving birth to a seven or eight pound baby (or even larger) would be a huge strain and even as a man I can empathize with that. It's still an amazing feat no matter how you look at it. A woman is built more to be able to better handle all that stress and strain, although I'm sure there are plenty of women who are unable to physically handle it. And as with all of life's choices, who knows what would have happened had you chosen to have children? For that matter who knows what would have happened if any of us had made different choices? And here we are! Maybe there's a reason we made the choices we did. Who can say for sure? We all do the best with what we have and with our journeys down the paths we find ourselves taking. No matter what, we still are amazing and do amazing things!