Kegel Exercises after Sling Surgery

Archives1

Staff member
Im a 74 year old male and had Robotic Radical Prostate Removal. After one year of Kegel Exercises I had no improvement of having to use 3 to 4 pads a day. I opted for Sling surgery and after 5 weeks Im down to 1 shield a day. My question is if I start back doing the kegel exercises will I see any improvement? I have searched the web for an answer but have found none.

I've considered the sling surgery recently but have not done it. I am propbably in the same position as you prior to yours and am coming up on one year. Was that surgery worth it you think overall?

@hpar4 When is the follow up with your surgeon? I would wait until you can ask your surgeon before restarting kegels.

I had the sling surgery in Sept 2021 (2 1/2 years ago at age 56). It takes longer than the 6 weeks to completely heal on the inside.

I wear a shield when doing yard work with a lot of sitting to standing.

RBG said:
I've considered the sling surgery recently but have not done it. I am propbably in the same position as you prior to yours and am coming up on one year. Was that surgery worth it you think overall?

I'm pleased with the results. I still wear a shield but can go several days and have no leakage then boom i have a small leakage. Don't know why...it just happens. It takes 3 or 4 weeks to get over the surgery. My doctor told me to use dial soap...it cones in a bar and is an antiseptic. Infection down there can be a problem.

thudson1965 said:
@hpar4 When is the follow up with your surgeon? I would wait until you can ask your surgeon before restarting kegels.

I had the sling surgery in Sept 2021 (2 1/2 years ago at age 56). It takes longer than the 6 weeks to completely heal on the inside.

I wear a shield when doing yard work with a lot of sitting to standing.

I saw my surgeon a few days ago and said I can do pretty much anything I want to but build up gradually. I go to the gym and he said that was fine just build up gradually. This guy is one of the leaders in this field. Does hundreds years and hundreds of artificial valves. He travels all over the country and world lecturing on this and ED problems. One thing he does different is the first week nothing but laying on my back...no chairs or even recliners. Just laying on bed and couch. I forgot to ask him about the kegel exercise after the sling surgery. Been almost 6 weeks.