Japanese innovation for Diaper Disposal

Archives1

Staff member
clickable text

I saw this online a few years ago and thought I'd share it with those of you concerned about the landfill situation. I have no idea how expensive it is, but at least someone is trying to solve the problem.

I've actually experimented with leaving a wet diaper lay out flat, plastic side down in the sun. In the Summer, it's really surprising how quickly they dry out. Initially, I wasn't sure the SAP would release the moisture. They dry down to the original dry weight and become very burnable.

Anyone else in rural areas try to find any solutions like that? Once dried well, they could be bagged and stored until the heating season, without noticeable odor. On a small scale basis, at home, one could build a ventilated, black box with a glass top to let the sun in. It would speed up the drying process to, I believe a few hours on a sunny Summer day. I'm just trying to save disposal fees and eventually get a little free heat for the house.

Is that just a crazy idea or am I making some sense?

I like your thinking! Rural life is much more challenging yet full of opportunities and choices.
But seriously, the diaper doesn't smell when dried?

If it's well dried, not really. I'm sure if you literally stuck your nose right up to it, you might be able to smell something, but it's primarily moisture that carries odors, so it seems to be very minimal.

I give you credit for your innovative thinking, but it might not be practical for many of us.
Would anyone really want to take used diapers to the recycle center, or go through the steps to recycle a bunch of dirty diapers themselves, rather than just throw them away?
Also, would burning the plastic lining in a fireplace cause a buildup in the chimney and a possible fire hazard?

I never said it would be practical. Maybe more about doing what we think is right. I guess what we think is right varies among all of us though. And I did say "rural areas".

As far as any questionable compounds in the chimney, I would think the Superfaiths company I provided a link to would have researched that aspect. If they invested as much as they obviously have, in order to get international patents, I believe it must be proven acceptable.

I think it would rely on a bit of common sense that you don't use the material to start your fire, but burn the material on an already hot burning fire so any questionable deposits are out of the chimney before having a chance to stay behind. Also, obviously, only in a sealed woodstove. No exhaust back into the house.

The only practical solution I’ve ever heard of for plastic pollution is the re-engineer of plastic to a biodegradable product. Many patents have been awarded to works in progress. I see it in the future and the best part of this solution is that it takes no effort on the part of the consumer.

My diaper usage is about half disposable and half cloth. But even cloth diapers have a carbon footprint with the water, detergent, and power consumed in laundering them. The best thing I’ve done for the planet is not have children.

I like the thinking, too. Couple of questions need research/thinking. It isn't just the "buildup" (i.e. like the creosote) that's important when considering what you burn in a woodstove. The chemicals in "coated" paper, some of the colored inks, can damage even Metalbestos chimney. What about the air pollution? Modern, EPA-approved woodstoves are greatly improved, but there are burn-bans where you can't use a woodstove at all (Like in Seattle area in certain weather), but if you can store them, it may not matter. I'm leery of the idea of burning any plastic or artificial material. Also, you open the door of a woodstove to put something in and can get quite a burst of smoke back at you. Balance that with the environmental hazards of burying in a landfill.
Not sure you are right about patents - they secure the rights to an idea, not to whether it is safe or not. Definitely not whether it can be used incorrectly or irresponsibly - witness dynamite.
Scientifically, having the "company" do the research isn't approved. Not even if they hire another company. Not sure about UL Listing. See Consumer Reports for standards of testing, and remember your lessons on the scientific method.
Keep up the good thinking.