Interstim Therapy

Archives1

Staff member
OK, so here it goes. I have failed every medication on the market for overactive bladder. I am still wetting my pants on a daily basis-usually twice a day with HUGE volumes. I can't find diapers that work without leaking. I am moving on to step 3-Interstim therapy. Do any other men have this? How well does it work? I am having a hard time since it works for both incontinence and retention?? Any problems with impotence or ejaculation? That part of me still works very well and I don't want to loose that? Any help guys?

The Interstim was not offered to me for my neurogenic bladder. Last week I asked my new gastroenterologist whether the Interstim might be useful to help me manage my gastroparesis, and he said it would not. Good luck and keep us informed.

I was offered the interstim but decided against it. I don't like the idea of an electronic device implanted in my body. I just wear diapers and get on with leading an otherwise normal life.

I have researched this in detail and the Interstim is not recommended for neurogenic bladder which is what they have diagnosed me with! HMMM?

They have also offered to me also, and yes, I have a confirmed neurogenic bladder.

And also I have heard enough about interstim that I don't want it. So I continue to cath, and wear incontinent protection

That is too bad you won't try it. I was still wetting my pants everyday after it was first implanted. But after a week and a half of manipulating the settings, I went into dry dock and have been dry ever since. I have actually already had an incident where I had to "go bad" and was able to hold it for almost an hour and a half until I found a bathroom. Once I did I went in and voluntarily voided I am sure at least a liter, but the fact is I stayed DRY! I put on a pair of jeans in the morning with briefs and wore them all day! It was almost enjoyable to feel that high pressure fullness feeling but not having such severe urge I would wet my pants. Believe me finding a bathroom was a high priority but never once did I come close to loosing it. My tighty whities stayed white all day! The first time in almost two years!

@Dougbc:

So glad it is working for you, I'm just not ready to have more done.
Do you also have retention? Severe retention?

Actually after careful evaluation my urge incontinence the result of retention. I retain anywhere between 1200-1800cc Because I don't have the sensation of needing to pee. Often the first sign of needing to go was flooded pants. Every time I void, it is 900-1100. Then I immediately cath myself for another 700-1000. That was the answer to why I only peed twice a day. With the Interstim, I feel the sensation earlier without urgency and can comfortably hold until I find a place to go. So for me, I consider it a huge success.