Incontinence

I was 75 yrs old when I had a prostatectomy, 1/21/2013, Da Vinci robot. Catheter was removed on 1/28/2013 and for the first few weeks my leakage was minimal, didn’t even wear a pad. But then it changed to a single pad each day, no pads at night, This went on for five years. Then for the past three years my leakage has gradually increased to four pads a day, still no leakage at night. Just recently, I have been experimenting with using a Wiesner clamp part time along with a pad. This has been working well with no negative side effects and has reduced pad usage to two per day. I am 83 now and keep hoping for improvement in both my incontinence and my ED which was dead from day one. I have always done my Kegel exercises and I also went through an incontinence PT course early on. On a more positive note, my PSA has always been “undetectable” which was, of course, my main objective for having the surgery. I would not be here today if it were not for the surgery and the side effects from that surgery is a small price to pay for life.

Although I can't tell a positive story, everyone is different. I was 50 when my prostate was removed. For several years i used one pad a day. Now I'm 67. I now use 3 pads a day and 4 if I'm active.

I am 69 and it's a little over 4 months since my robotic prostatectomy. Nighttime incontinence was never an issue, but daytime incontinence was very discouraging at first, sometimes requiring several pull-ups per day. I worked with a physical therapist who introduced various kinds of pelvic floor exercises, and I also typically walk several miles a day. I didn't change my dietary habits. Today my leakage is minimal, with a thin underwear guard lasting over 24 hours. I'm able to go about the basic activities of my life normally :), but my anxiety has shifted from incontinence to ED :(