incontinence while being active

Archives1

Staff member
I both bike a lot and also ref soccer I'm in the southern US so it is very hot and I have struggled with sweating while wearing decent protection. Does anyone have any advice or tips for how to manage when doing physical activity or any recommendations on what products to use?

Hey Greengold4
I'm not sure what level of incontinence you are living with but presuming that it is primarily bladder related, I'd suggest considering a two-piece system for those times that you are biking or reffing soccer.
There are larger pads that can provide more than enough absorption and these type of pads can be worn with a fixation pant (a robust washable mesh pant).
This approach provides the absolute highest level of breathability possible when addressing bladder incontinence and, provided that you select the right pad, you can enjoy the level of confidence needed to live life fearlessly.
I'm a little biased on this one, but I'd suggest one of the Abri-San pads from Abena and one of the Abri-Fix Super fixation pants.
Best of luck
Ken

I suffer from bladder urge incontinence mainly smaller leaks but occasional large surges. The issue is with biking usually is that I need my protection to also last me through several hours of class as well. Is their anywhere I can get samples to try this out and see if it works for me?

Hey there, Greengold4. I get where you're coming from. I'm very active myself - serious bodybuilder, plus I bike and hike - and I live in the California desert. Lots of heat in the summer, to say the least! Ken at Abenda offered some good suggestions. I'll offer a few more.

If you don't want to go the route Ken suggested, I suggest wearing the absolute thinnest diaper you can get away with, and then put a large pad or guard inside. That's generally a better option than going with a larger, thicker diaper (if your incontinence will allow it). Then, what I do is wear boxer briefs - I'm an UnderArmour guy - over my diaper, both to support the weight of the diaper when I wet, as well as to muffle any sound the diaper might make. In addition, the UnderArmour also can soak up a little bit of pee if my diaper leaks, which isn't common but does happen occasionally.

Finally, I strongly suggest staying hydrated at all times. I know it's kind of counter-intuitive for those of us who are incontinent, but it's hugely important nonetheless.

Good luck, and PM me if you have any questions or just want to vent. :)

kenedmunds said:
Feel free to correspond with me at kne@abena.com to arrange for samples.
Thanks I sent you an email.
SoCalDude said:
Hey there, Greengold4. I get where you're coming from. I'm very active myself - serious bodybuilder, plus I bike and hike - and I live in the California desert. Lots of heat in the summer, to say the least! Ken at Abenda offered some good suggestions. I'll offer a few more.

If you don't want to go the route Ken suggested, I suggest wearing the absolute thinnest diaper you can get away with, and then put a large pad or guard inside. That's generally a better option than going with a larger, thicker diaper (if your incontinence will allow it). Then, what I do is wear boxer briefs - I'm an UnderArmour guy - over my diaper, both to support the weight of the diaper when I wet, as well as to muffle any sound the diaper might make. In addition, the UnderArmour also can soak up a little bit of pee if my diaper leaks, which isn't common but does happen occasionally.

Finally, I strongly suggest staying hydrated at all times. I know it's kind of counter-intuitive for those of us who are incontinent, but it's hugely important nonetheless.

Good luck, and PM me if you have any questions or just want to vent. :)

Thank you for the advice I sent you a PM

I haven't noticed really any one-person restrooms on our campus so it makes things a little difficult at least I haven't had a large accident in the middle of class yet