Incontinence and UTIs?

Archives1

Staff member
I am a 67 year old mother of three and one was 9 lbs 13 oz and one was 9 lbs 2 oz. After having them I had stress and urge incontinence and overactive bladder, but not terrible. In 1996 I had a hysterectomy and bladder lift. It helped with stress incontinence but in some ways made urge incontinence worse. Some time ago my doctor put me on oxybutynin. I made the best of it, but beginning about ten years ago I had my first UTI. Now I have as many as five or six a year. Oxybutynin gives me a dry mouth so I drink a lot of water. Then urge incont gets worse. I started wearing incont pads and now wonder if they increase number of UTIs. I am at the end of my rope. Urologist had me have a CT scan today and I see him next week. Any insights?

I did not have a dry mouth with Oxybutynin regular or ER. Now I take Trospium regular. It doesn't give me a dry mouth, either. Problem is, none of these is very effective for me. Will begin Trospium ER soon. Wishing you well.

You could look up 'Nitrofurantoin' on the Internet to see whether it fits your circumstances. If it does, why not ask your urologist about it?

Good luck.

@Japan_Grandma
How is your estrogen level?

Here are two relevant posts:

And