If I May Ask...

Archives1

Staff member
At what age did your issues start? What age are you now? I am 56 and I started having problems starting to urinate when I needed to, and then stopping too soon about six years ago. Lately I've been leaking after I think I'm done & have started wearing guards.

I thought mine was prostate related, but a recent says different (which I'm OK with) I guess it's my diabetes or a muscle issue of some sort.

I was in a motorcycle accident when I was 31 and have been battling the t ever since!! I also remember having urgency issues growing up but never had accidents until the motorcycle crash. That was 14 years ago.

I am 46 and my issues started at night about 12 years ago, thought it was from my sleep apnea. It started during the day shorty there after, I have been back in diapers full time for over 11 years.

For me, issues started in my early 50s in the form of dribbling after peeing. It was hard to keep my pants dry so I used pads. The urologist ascribed it to BPH and a stricture in my urethra.
Then, at age 60, with rising PSA and a family history of prostate cancer I was biopsied and diagnosed with prostate cancer. The tumors were big enough that I had an unilateral nerve sparing radical prostatectomy (nerves were spared only on one side). Nerve damage and the re-arrangement of the urinary tract with the prostatectomy left me incontinent. Currently, I am 64 so this has gradually become my new normal. Often I can't tell that my bladder is full and if it is full, it will empty when I stand up. Also, I have stress incontinence (pee when I sneeze, cough, stand up, exercise, etc.).

I had stress incontinence after childbirth at age 40. When I had a hysterectomy for endometrial cancer at age 50, I also had a bladder suspension. Radiation treatment for the cancer led to a late effect lumbosacral plexopathy, and my continence was seriously affected about ten years later. It was made worse when mobility problems made it harder to reach the bathroom quickly.

I started with small dribbles about age 45 and used guards. By early 50's the dribbles were more frequent and larger volume so I was using pull ups. I had a TURP at age 54, with a bladder neck incision very soon afterwards. This is when things became much worse. Medications failed to help and botox has failed, so I am now using nappies (UK) full time. I don't know if I should try an interstim?

I was a chronic bedwetter growing up and wasn't reliably dry until my early 20's. My bedwetting ame back in my late 40's due to diabetic related problems. Daytime incontinence soon followed.

Started in my teens. I was in jr high and at a track meet. I was doing the long jump that day and landed wrong. Peed my pants and had no use of my legs for a bit. I squished a bunch of discs. Ever since then I had problems. They started out small and ended up big. I’m 40 now.

I never thought about sleep apnea as a cause, I've had that for a long time.

I also thought 50 was young to start and I was wrong about thar.

Thank you all for sharing, iy helps me to not feel so odd and ashamed.

Was prettt reliably potty trained age 8, never dry at night. My sophomore year in college day control went entirely. Almost overnight no sensation whatsoever. My incontinence is due to my congenital spine and nerve related and how they are routed through and around my spine.

Most of my adult life. I had brain tumor removed in 2011. The incontinence got better but never went away.I still have problems and need to exercise or do my kegels everyday. Gets hard-I know as I get older with all my other challengers it will be there also.

I’m 76 years old. My bladder-control (OAB and urge incontinence) issues stem from a surgical mishap that I experienced when I was 14. I haven’t been reliably dry at night since then. Later, when I was in my forties, my daytime continence became unreliable; and I’ve been wearing diapers 24/7 since then. Incontinence is a nuisance, but it’s manageable. I’ve managed to live a reasonably successfuf professional and social life.

God Bless, thanks for your comments on your life-Inconinmiss-good attitude-keep up the good faith. We are should be grateful for our lives-it is hard sometimes, however it is the way to be happy.