How Strongly to Contract During Kegels

Archives1

Staff member
Just curious, what were you told about how strongly to contact muscles during Kegel exercises? Was it simply “contract your muscles”. Or was it described as an intense contraction? Thanks.

Great question. Try to squeeze add hard as I can. Not that that's a lot at this point. But no one gave instructions on that. Doc have me a pamphlet and sent me to pt. Pt hasn't quantified squeezing.

I’d be interested to hear what others have been told.

Before RP my urologist suggested that I start practicing Kegel exercises so I did. I did three sets of 10 and held each rep for as hard as I could for a count of five.

After surgery I started sessions with my PT and she had me only tighten the Kegels to half strengthen but build from 5 seconds to 10 and eventually to 15. Then do multiple reputations through out the day.

Between recovery time from surgery and Kegel exercises I did see improvement.

I did the hard-as-can thin, but have stopped the "practicing". Where I do contract hard, is when I stand p from siting & lying down and it gets so urgent it can be painful. I imagine lots of others do the same thing, so it's "daily practice', just not "repeated except in the sense of "holds it for longer time", each time.
Good luck. Haven't noticed your name before. If you are new, welcome.

I was told to squeeze hard for 10 seconds, restore 10 seconds and 3 reps 3times a day followed by rapid 1 seconds 15 reps

I went to pelvic floor therapy. This pasted some electronic leads to my butt that measured my strengt. I started w. 3 reps held for 3, hard, the rest for 6 counts. Built up to 10 hard then TOTALLY rest for 20.
Do not exceed that, she said. Three times a day if possible.

Hopefully this is helpful but be sure to pay attention to your body as well. I was told to do a kegel
"squeeze" when doing dishes or going up stairs, and this lead to bigger spasms and some pain. This doesn't happen to everyone but kegels do not work for some. If they help you, all the better!