How do you change your diapers?

Archives1

Staff member
I was just wondering how or what process you use to change your diapers? Especially brief diapers. And if brief diapers, how do you change them out in public if needed?

Hi,Teddy here,how about using Tena heavy duty pads,it's easy to change and you could put a spare in your back pocket,take care

I use mega max. I lay out a new one across my knees, bend it lengthwise. That will help. Then stand up and quickly place it between my knees and squeeze my thighs to hold it. Once up and ready I will put my back to the wall and continue pulling it up. Then tape up. Speed is important I found as i leak when I stand up and if I do not have it under me when I stand, my pants get wet. Also make sure the wall of the cubicle/stall is solid enough. I put my back to a flimsy one and damn near torw the whole thing down.

I wear Abena 24/7 and changes normally are standing up against a wall/cubicle wall where I put the back of the. Tied in place and then pull the front into place and tape up.. unless I’ve messed and that takes a bit more effort.

11713eb05a24ffec9d63f99e8b55279b.jpg

Pull ups are what I use. Just slide it off and get a new one and pull it up! Just like underwear! Easy!!!:D

In a public restroom and not wanting to take my shoes and pants off, I will layer two or three Depend pullups. When it is time to change, I use scissors to cut the sides of the inner most pull up. I use a xlarge dog poop bag or a 4 gallon trash bag to dispose of the bag and throw it in the bathroom trash bin.

Costco's 10 gallon trash can liner box of 500 (4 rolls of 125) is $10 and is cheaper than the dog poop bags. The dog poop bags come in rolls of 15, is easy to manage discreetly, and is not clear so someone would need to look close.

I've been wearing ConfiDry 24/7 diapers for the most part, in the daytime. If I have to change while away from home, I'll find a restroom and stand back against the wall, to hold the diaper in place as I do the tapes. That way, I only have to lower my pants and plastic pants about knee level, without having to take anything off. When I was wearing Depends RealFit pullups, I could tear the old one off, but then had to take my shoes and pants off to put another one on. (I'd never thought of Thudson's trick (Above) of just wearing 2 or 3 at a time!! Duh!)

At night, when putting on my cloth night time diapers, I often use the same method, back against the wall to hold the diaper, while pinning it on. I seem to be able to get it pinned tighter than when I lay down on my bed to get my diaper on.

Great conversation and I thought I was the only one who stuck his bum against the wall!

I do it that way or laying down on the bed. Sometimes I mix it up for a change of scenery lol.

Hi @laalaauk, I like the way you put it about a change of scenery! :D A sense of humor like that is most important for us talking about and dealing with incontinence!!!!

In the past 11 years, I've mastered changing in all positions (standing/leaning/sitting/laying). While I'd prefer to change standing (ideally with something to lean my tailbone on to hold the diaper in place), I've also mastered changing in a car seat.

Here's a detailed step-by-step explanation online:
clickable text

So I have been incontinent for a long tome. I’ve changed in all different places but always try to scout the area for a ‘single stall’ or disabled washroom. I used to be very worried people would hear me changing and wonder what was going on. Now I don’t care. They likely don’t care.
Now I have honecare that comes in 3 times a day to assist me because with neuropathy its really hard to do it myself.

Like others, I use a wall. If I'm in a public restroom, I try to use the handicapped stall, which is uaually against the wall, rather than the cubicle wall. I have to have my pants down below my knees, and I feel like that would be a little obvious if I were leaning against the wall of a cubicle.

Anyway, I stand in front of the wall where I'll lean, take out a clean brief, fold it lengthwise as others have described, then put it around the back of my waist so it's centered and the waistband is at the right height. Then I lean on it, bend down to reach between my legs and grab the front of the brief, and pull it up between my legs. I make sure the standing leak guards and the leg gathers are seated properly in the crease between my thigh and crotch, then I hold the front against me with one hand while I peel one of the upper tapes with my other hand. I stick it in about the right spot (knowing how a specific diaper fits me helps a lot), then do the same with the other upper tape, making sure that the waistband is the proper tightness and that both sides are symmetric. Finally, I do the lower tapes so that I have the right amount of tightness around my thighs, slide my pants up (making sure to flip the zipper tab downward - I've torn diapers on the zipper tab a few times!), tuck my shirt in, and fasten my pants and belt.

I used to do the lower tapes first, but I've found that I have an easier time getting them done correctly if I start with the upper ones. When I first started needing to wear briefs, I first learned how to change them lying down, but that's not very practical in most restrooms. Now that I've learned to change them standing up, I can't even change them lying down anymore - they come out all off center and asymmetric.

I do typically standing up and just swap out the one brief for another. I much prefer the tape briefs as opposed to the pull ups as I do not like having to take off my shoes to change. But honestly I think it depends on personal preference and obviously on ones incontinence and volumes discharged. :)

I change while standing, it works best for me and I can do it in a public bathroom (handicapped stall) or family changing room. One thing I have found helpful is to "fluff" my diaper, I forgot where I saw this but it seems to help. To fluff it I fully open it and then fold in half lengthwise to break up the bulk a bit so it is more comfortable and seems to fit better.
After removing my wet diaper, I place the dry diaper behind me and use my body to hold it against the wall. I pull up the front and apply the lower left tape at a slightly upward angle then the top tape straight across, I then repeat with right tapes.