Hotel stays

Archives1

Staff member
Hello everyone. I am going on a mini vacation today. I will be making reservations for a few hotels along my way to my destination. I have never asked if they would put a mattress protector on the bed for me due to my incontinence. I have alway broght my own. Anyone out here know if hotels accommodate to that kind of request.

Some do, some don't. You need to ask.
Each hotel should be able to accommodate you. Request a handicap room. It may already have a protector on the mattress already

Agree with previous post. For me it's been hit and miss. I've done check ins/online reservations and put requests for protection and most of the time it never happened.
I've had better luck asking the cleaning maids and they usually always provided protective covering. It's uncomfortable to ask but I think for me it would be worse/more embarrassing if I soaked the mattress.

artiejr said:
Some do, some don't. You need to ask.
Each hotel should be able to accommodate you. Request a handicap room. It may already have a protector on the mattress already

Most hotels that are handicapped accessible are for hearing and mobility impaired. But the ones I've stayed at the beds are typically hard so I'm guessing it's protected. Just wear a continence product and bring a reusable bed pad - I use a bed pad just in case on bad spasm days...they protect the sheets and can be washed.

Blessings,
Honeeecombs

I take my bedpads with me. The past two hotels I’ve stayed in wouldn’t give me an extra blanket or a serious mattress protector. Rather, they gave me a really thin mattress cover that didn’t seem in any way to be capable of true mattress protection. So bedpads it is.

Enjoy your vacay; how wonderful!

When traveling, I always take my own protection such as bed pad and always use my night time diapers. When booking online, I also try and book a handicap room which sometimes will include a mattress cover. I have been dealing with this long enough to know it's best to be prepared and NOT relay on the hotel.

i'm 76 and have had Over Active Bladder all my life. At boarding school and going to hotels in Ireland, Britain and Europe all my life I have always brought a waterproof sheet and cover with me, and latterly a custom made pad, as well as personal protection. To be honest it would never have occurred to me to ask a hotel to provide for me, and I have never thought there might me a room set up for handicapped people - bad of me as I should have thought of it, example of 'ablism'. I take too much for granted sometimes.

It’s too much, but I wish I could also travel with my bulky elevated toilet seat with grab bars to help my knees stand up off the toilet seat. If I’m driving instead of flying, I like to take my water pillow because it does so much for my neck and shoulder pain.

I travel a lot and I carry my own bed pads. The one I use is extra long and wider then most. I bought several at Amazon.com. I also use them at home to protect my mattress and I have never leaked on the mattress. Since I started using these, I don’t have to concern myself with the hotels. If I do wet them, every hotel has a laundry facility that I use to wash and dry them. You might also want to wear plastic, PVC, or rubber pants. They help too. I would suggest you use a bed protector too. As much as I travel, I’ve never had a problem. I carry all my own stuff. I am also a heavy wetter at night. Anyway, I hope this helps to ease your mind. Nocturnal enuresis isn’t fun but it shouldn’t cause you stress. Every disability has its own problems and we all strive to make our lives better. Take care my friends and enjoy life to its fullest. No problem is insurmountable. Enjoy your adventures in this life!

I usually take my own diapers as well as reusable bed pads. In the event I have forgotten the bed pads, I have asked many hotels if they have anything and many times a shower curtain under the sheets has been provided.

That you all for support. I am back from the mini vacation. What a trip. I got to see a lot of things and places I haven't been to or haven't been in a long time. I did prepare my luggage with the essentials for sleeping at hotels. It was a very busy weekend being that it was MEA weekend for the school kids everywhere. The last hurrah before the cold weather sets in. I did bring my thickest diapers along just to be on the safe side. I don't know why I got so shook up about the who thing. I guess it happens but I had nothing to worry about. I had no leaks through my whole trip. Thank you again for all your answers.

So I always write in the reservation that I want to have a moisture-proof mattress protector.

At larger houses, this is often standard anyway, and if not, it's no problem that they provide one.

At smaller hotels or guesthouses it can be a problem - but then I either book something else or just take a few bed pads with me.

From my experience, the washable ones are only suitable to a limited extent. Especially if you are only one or two days there, you often do not get them dry if something has gone wrong. This is then possibly avenged at the airport if you are only traveling with hand luggage and the scanner finds the wet thing ...

You do not have to be ashamed at all to ask for something like that. You are not the only one with such a problem and the hotels are usually prepared for it.

In this context, opaque garbage bags are also useful, because the trash cans are usually too small.

I can’t believe they care if you have wet luggage; what do they think, that we’ll build a bomb with a wet swimsuit? Incredible; I’m so sick of being surveilled.

Anyway, @MichaelDahlke I totally agree with you that reusable bedpads never work as well as disposable bedpads.

@JWT Happy to hear that your trip went well and that you had fun. To your original question and my experience is a lot like others here have said. For me I usually pack nite time pull-ups to use when staying at a hotel and for the most part they work great. my bedwetting is occasional so most time I do not wet at night during the stay so th pull-ups are just a precaution.

As to if protection will be on the bed as a matter of the hotel practice I find it to be hit or miss. Sometime there is a quilted waterproof type mattress pad and other times it is just a regular mattress pad. I've stayed at the same hotel chain (Hiltons like Hampton, Hilton Garden Inn,) in different parts of the country or a state and even then it seems to be up to the hotel. Some have had a protected pad and other not.

As to asking I have put a comment in the requests box when making a reservation in the past. I tend to do this when I am having a period of increased bedwetting from my normal occasionally incidents. I can say that even just typing it in the request box online can be embarrassing, least for me. Then when checking in can be embarrassing too not knowing if the person checking you in can see th comment or if only housekeeping saw it as they made up the room. From my experience the majority of the time nothing is said and when I get to the room the majority of the time there is just the regular mattress pad and nothing extra. I have had two time where something was mentioned during checking but it was done very professionally. The person just casually without drawing attention or being over expressive made a comment like, " I see that you had a request. In the comment is noted that we were able to fulfil that request." And that was that.

Now the last two times where I made the request I changed my comment a little to be less embarassing. Instead of saying I have occasionally issues with bedwetting I said I had allergies and asked for a waterproof hypoallergenic mattress cover. Nothing was mentioned during check in but both times when I checked the bed there was a waterproof protect-a-bed brand cover on it.

JT

On a similar note, I have been asked to visit some friends that winter in AZ. this winter. My wife suddenly passed away in August, and these friends are trying to look after me. One couple knows of my incontinence and need to wear diapers, the other couple does not. Should I take my chances and not mention it, or should I give them a heads up? My anxiety level always rises when confronted with these kinds of decisions. I'm somewhat reluctant to visit for a variety of other health issues...heart failure being the most significant one. I would also like to drive to AZ., but probably not a good idea to do it solo.

I have grown tired of asking. I have yet to have a hotel provide mattress protection. I always just bring my own. If my diapers leak I remove the wet sheets in the morning and leave the plastic exposed on the bed so they know to sheet over it, which they do.