Home Health

Archives1

Staff member
This maybe a stupid question; But will Home Health Aides help you change or change your diapers themselves

I had a home health aid after a hip replacement surgery. The duties included helping me bathe and dress myself. Although I was able to perform those tasks myself the home health aide could have helped. If you need help putting on your diapers the home health aide must help you if you request the help.

Hi @mhart82, There is no such thing as a stupid question if it's something that you thought of and you're concerned about it enough to ask!
I think that changing diapers and doing other incontinence-related care is in the job description for home health aides. I'd be very surprised if that weren't so. They are all trained in that aspect of patient care and they should expect such when they sign on to work at an agency.
But if it were me and you have an agency in mind that you would like to hire, then by all means call and ask them. Please tell them your concern and if they hesitate or hem and haw and won't come out with a straight "yes" or "no" answer, then it would be a good time to call someone else!
I hope that helps and that you can locate a suitable agency quickly.

BTW I don’t think that your question was stupid. I have difficulty in asking for help and very often feel as if my questions are stupid however I have gotten some excellent advice from persons who use this blog

Thanks everyone!! I knew they probably did was just asking to clarify. I'm sure they probably have it in their Standard of Care package for you but just in case. I would again tell them I wear diapers full time and need help changing them.

Hi again @mhart82, It sounds like you've got it covered! And remember, this isn't the first time they heard someone tell them that a client wears diapers, nor will it be the last time!

Had home care only twice, for limited time. Your doctor tells them why and what, here, and that's all they do, in cases such as mine. I was able to use bathroom by self, even shower with shower seat & grab bars. She would have come if I oouldn't shower by self. Walker, otherwise. Not sure if they could require you to put in grab bars, never thought to ask; we had them already.
I'd say: ask. You might ask Doc, too, to put it on order if you have enough problems doing it by self. My Doc went through the: Can you do this, can you that. Also, the: don't do this and that, or have your wife help.
Neither of mine had to stay at our house. One came only to change my port, if something went wrong with it. Or double check me once a week, take blood sample, bring me next round of antibiotics for self injection through port.