Holding pee / pushing out

Archives1

Staff member
Any thoughts on when you can now hold pee going every hour holding until 2 hours or holding as long as you can even with a little leakage.
And when down what are your thoughts on pushing out the last bit of pee.

It’s best if possible to not go immmediately when you get the urge but holding off too long can have other negative effects on the muscle structure in that area. I have OAB and not a prostate surgery so clearly a differant situation.

I would talk to your urologist and if maybe a pelvic therapist if they can help post surgery.

I think I’ve been flexing my pelvic muscle too tightly for too long and holding my pee too much over the years because now I have a hard time relaxing the muscle. I didn’t know I was doing anything wrong until recently when the NAFC sent us an email discussing this. Their email prompted me to ask my doctor about it, and she told me I have to go back to physical therapy seven years later now to learn how to relax the muscle. I would talk to your urologist or physical therapist.

I have had pelvic pain then had a prostatectomy which caused more pelvic pain. The pain gets worse when I tense muscles in the pelvic area. It seems the nerve is extremely sensitive to muscle tension causing pain. My PT stopped me from Kegels I have been told constant tension in the pelvic area can cause it as well as stress and anxiety. I am getting pelvic stretching and am suppose to lower my stress. They indicate both is needed. The pelvic pain is less when I am going and the muscles are relaxed. Wishing everyone well. Tim

When I feel I have to go, I do. It might be an hour, it might be two hours. As far as emptying your bladder, YES, definitely do that. My dad had bladder stones and they said it is caused by not evacuating completely every time you pee. You do not want those, they are excruciatingly painful. I have never had them but I had a friend was getting ready to run his A Gas Corvette down the drag strip and he just laid down doubled over in pain. He went to the hospital instead. Please try to get out all you can. My problem is I will get it all out, stand up, pull up my drawers and pee some more. Thank you pads!!

That's one of the reasons with my urge UIC that I prefer wearing diapers. Whenever and urge comes up, I can freely decide - no matter what I'm doing, where I am, what's the surrounding, if a bathroom is nearby or not - if I want to try to hold in and find out if it starts hurting or not, or if I rather release - either only a spurt, or in worse case, the full bladder. Even if short time later the next urge comes,I can simply push out everything. It's quite important for me as well to empty out everything from time to time as also to try sometimes to fill up the bladder completely, no matter if I'm on a toilet or not...