Hello Folks, I’m new here - late childhood wetter and now PMD

Archives1

Staff member
Hi folks, many thanks for accepting my membership .
I was born in 1968 and in nappies until I was around 6 years old . The nappies then were terry towel held together with safety pins and I had to wear plastic pants as well which embarrassed me but at least kept me dry.
My mum wasn’t forceful though. She wanted to get me out of nappies as soon as possible and one bedtime I was agitated and she asked me if I wanted to try sleeping without one saying “ These are for babies really”. I agreed but during the night , I wet the bed as usual and ended up in a nappy again. By the time I was out of nappies I would still have minor leaking accidents in the daytime and occasionally wet bed through my teens .
I grew out of that eventually but over the last 10 years or so developed regular PMD (after dribble)
which can be heavy. I tried exercises etc. and pad inserts . Despite clean underwear and showering every day I had a persistent skin infection. Urine was getting into my trousers and causing the problem by wetting my legs and even sometimes my office chair so a solution had to be found because it got so bad .I decided to go the nappy route .At first I tried disposables but found terry nappy briefs much more comfortable. I bought plastic pants from a firm in the uk which are good quality soft and fit me well. This worked and the infection went away, as the nappy draws the wetness away from my skin much more effectively than the insert pad and the plastic pants are a waterproof barrier .The combination isn’t bulky or noisy .I find I can relax and empty my bladder properly without worrying about the after dribble and having to wear dark trousers all the time.
One nappy brief 90% of the time lasts me all day thankfully and just one change for bed. When I have to get up to use the bathroom during the night I still dribble afterwards .I don’t suffer with the embarrassment and humiliation I had as a child fortunately I feel a sense of security that I can empty my bladder fully without the sensation that I’ll need to go again very soon afterwards. They can be uncomfortable in hot weather but I’ve got used to that and most of the time hardly notice now.
There have been times when I’ve gone back to ordinary underwear and seemed to stay dry and make me wonder if I really need protection but sooner or later the after dribble surprises me. I can sometimes hold it back but it feels like I still haven’t finished urinating.
Sorry, I realise now I have posted in the wrong section and didn’t see the introductions. Hope this is ok

It's a toughish dispensation but could I guess be a lot worse. What plastic pants please? It would be helpful for me to know. I assume they would cater for men and women.

Welcome to the forum! Your information is both interesting and useful. You have reminded us that urine and skin don't go together. You have come further than most of us in accepting "where we are."

I think we gain ground when we are able to establish a suitable routine that takes care of our problem. In this forum, we share the common problem of incontinence but with many variations. We learn from each other. Wishing you the best!

Welcome. Your post landed in the right place. Your narrative contained some useful information that I may just share with my husband.

Jaycloth. Welcome. You seem to manage your problem well both practically and emotionally which is great. Tena and others do make underwear with an inbuilt absorbent section. Some people find them OK but of course it means a complete change and lots of washing where pads etc only need replacement. I use light shields at home and in the early part of the day but sometimes use an external catheter and leg bag system if I am away for a long period or doing something very strenuous.

Welcome to the forum. I’ve had the bed wetting and overactive bladder problems my whole life. Lots of great folks here and lots of great tips and tricks for dealing with these issues. Always feel free to vent. You’ll always have a listening ear and someone who knows what you’re going through.

All the best!

Hbrownlow said:
Jaycloth. Welcome. You seem to manage your problem well both practically and emotionally which is great. Tena and others do make underwear with an inbuilt absorbent section. Some people find them OK but of course it means a complete change and lots of washing where pads etc only need replacement. I use light shields at home and in the early part of the day but sometimes use an external catheter and leg bag system if I am away for a long period or doing something very strenuous.

Thank you HB for your welcome and sorry to hear of your own situation. I hope you don’t suffer emotionally with your predicament.
I did try some Tena washables a few years ago which my doctor recommended which were somewhat like padded cycling shorts 😂. I found that they would wick out the wetness to the outer covering as I didn’t have plastic pants . The foam pad seemed to take forever to dry out after washing whereas my terry towel ones take only an afternoon hung on a coat hanger this time of year or 1 hour in the tumble dryer.

Thank you everyone for your welcome.
It’s reassuring for me that I have come to the right place. I read about many who are full blown incontinent and considered myself very borderline unwarrantable for my making any fuss about it particularly when what happens with me can can go through an intermittent phase. Those dry times when I just pull on a pair of cotton trunks under my jeans thinking that I don’t need nappies then after a bathroom trip a nasty surprise when a cup full runs down the inside of one leg, or the sudden urge and straining to hold back when I turn on the kitchen taps etc. these are reminders that it’s not ok.Yes I do seem manage it well but there are times I’ve felt guilty wondering if I’m lazy in wearing a nappy because if I really try I can hold back from dribbling but it doesn’t feel like I;ve finished and I end up going again soon after. This performance goes on unless I let it do it’s own thing..and I never know when that’s going to be but it’s guaranteed to be when I think it’s safe to relax after I have fastened up my trousers and then it happens. Sometimes the after flow repeats more than once but at least I feel I’ve emptied.

@Jaycloth
Friend, someone handed me this many years ago and I pass it on: HOPE FOR THE BEST...BUT...PLAN FOR THE WORST. Of course, this means that we over-plan and over-dress for the day and then enjoy being surprised when we "didn't need all this stuff for today." I promise you this is the best way to handle our incontinence. I'm 88 and recovering from a waterfall into my shoe wears me out!

For me, that means carefully assembling my external catheter onto clean-scrubbed-and-dried(finish drying with a hair drier on low) and skin-prepped skin and secure connectors and tubing and leg bag (below the knee). With everything in place, I can safely pick up a twenty-dollar bill on the sidewalk if need be without feeling insecure.

It's too risky to dream you won't dribble but three drops today. Go for broke! Overdo it! How do we pick out the days when we will be dry and the days when there will be a waterfall inside the pant leg? Wishing you the best! God bless!

Hello Jay,
I’ve been in cloth diapers with plastic pants at night my whole life. I wet numerous times a night and the only thing that works well for a side sleeper like me is thiCk cloth. I wear quality disposables during the day but am interested in the Terry type of cloth diapers you are using during the day. I know I can save more $ if I use wash and wear diapers but need good coverage as well? Can you share more specifics on your Terry pants and where you obtained them? Thanks

donny4 said:
Hello Jay,
I’ve been in cloth diapers with plastic pants at night my whole life. I wet numerous times a night and the only thing that works well for a side sleeper like me is thiCk cloth. I wear quality disposables during the day but am interested in the Terry type of cloth diapers you are using during the day. I know I can save more $ if I use wash and wear diapers but need good coverage as well? Can you share more specifics on your Terry pants and where you obtained them? Thanks
Hi, the terry briefs I purchased from Cuddlz.com. They seem to be available on other sites too such as Drydaze. and Etsy but they are made in the uk. I think they do export though. I couldn’t find you any USA based ones. It’s Ironic how we in the Uk don’t seem to manufacture much anymore but when it comes to reusable incontinence products including plastic pants we’re up there near the top. Lol
Anyway they are available as pull up or snap on and single or double thickness. They do have good coverage but if you are a heavy wetter maybe you would need the double thickness. I find them confortable but they tend to make them tight on the legs so if you order there is a section at Cuddlz where you can drop them a note to allow more leg room. I use single thickness but sometimes drop in a junior terry nappy square folded 3 times to make a rectangular soaker.The single thickness ones are roomy enough in the front to do that . I rinse them out well at the end of each day in the shower then wash them all together at the end of the week at 40 degrees and they take about 2 days to dry completely in good weather on a hanger, in winter you will need to use a tumble drier.