Has anyone tried Speax by Thinxs or re-usable incontinence panties?

Archives1

Staff member
Curious if anyone uses these, or has had any luck with different brands? Cost wise its higher than I would prefer but they are re-usable.

I just Googled it and it's no wonder I haven't heard of it I am a male and it seems to be female-only products

@ICGamer I haven’t tried them, but they would certainly be better for the environment. Diapers account for a huge portion of landfills.

Snow: Amen.
Our landfill is filling up. The Feds have made getting a new landfill site difficult & expensive. I'm not quarreling with the need for the new regs, but with how much and what we pitch. Re-cycling almost doesn't work, up here, because we aren't big enough to do it ourselves and the shipping costs to facilities in Lower 48 exceed what you get from the recylcers - even steel & aluminum.
In South East Alaska, - wait for it! - they have to ship "food waste" to Washington by barge, where it is shipped over the Cascades to a monsterous landfill over there. Not sure if diapers are included in it, but doubt it. People garbage-bag things, including diapers, toss it into the regular household garbage site at landfills, I'll bet. Where the seagulls and bald eagles spread it around.

@AlasSouth Oh how depressing! Sort of ruins some of my memories of AK - though I wasn’t down south.

Well garbage has food in it and that's what attracts the wild critters! They are just looking for free food. After all a bear can smell food in garbage up to five miles away and seagulls and the eagles can also home in on a free meal as well. Do they have bear-proof containers up there??

@billliveshere We had them in Mammoth Lakes, CA where 8,000 people lived. Not sure about now, but then (11 years ago) it was the second-least populated state in the lower 49 states. Everyone had to have a PO Box instead of a regular mailbox - still had to pay for a PO Box as if one chose to do so. Zero deliveries by Amazon/UPS were allowed to individual units/homes so basically a membership at the UPS Store was also required. There were super strict laws about it. Zero garbage collection; all had to be taken by hand to landfill and recycling sorted there. I actually loved that part - I learned tons of recycling.

billliveshere: One town sells them at a discount, and requires them. They ain't cheap. The rest of us either gulp and pinch our noses and pay, or we build a bear-proof enclosure or keep it in the garage or something.
It isn't actually a joke. When we have visitor from lower 48, we can always show them bald eagles - just take them to the dump! They are waiting on trees on the road, or soaring to & from.
In Ketchikan, the dump included black bears. Then the food went away. We discovered the dump for 11,000 people was supporting 43 bears - and they came into town looking for food. It's less than a mile, maybe only 1/2 mile. As usual,someone insisted the bears be transported, not be put down. They even swam across over 2 miles of salt water to get back. Probably did 50-60 miles walking. They had to put them down, after all.
There is a you-tube video, cute as the dickens. A really small bear cub found out the grocery store doors opened for him automatically. He got up on the produce-fruit counter. The video's are short (there are 3 of them). Type in "you tube Ketchikan bear cub in grocery store".
Here's the link to one:
Hehehehehehe! :D
They had to pitch all the food, of course!
Hey! In Anchorage, a moose made the same discovery and walked into the Providence Hospital Lobby! Not sure how they got her out. I saw the photos in the paper. Maybe she ate the plants. Fortunately, she didn't have a calf with her....

Regarding the Speax- I have tried them and they are dreadful. The moisture wicks to the edges of the pan tie and then to you clothes. Also, once wet, you are now living in a wet brief. That might be OK if you are at home and can get out of them right away. But at work? On an evening out? Not good. They are expensive and have limited use. I would never buy them again.

@Faithab I sort of figured it was too good to be true and some people have very tiny leaks. Thank you for sharing with me, I am glad I didn't order a pair!